Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Yahaira
True - students should be responsible for getting a job and using information provided by the placement department. The reality is that most students need a lot of encouragement, hand holding, and motivation to start and complete job searches. We think this is fine. Ideally the skills you teach them will be used once the grad gets employed and gains confidence and self esteem.
If the goal is for the student to be successfully placed, then we believe it is important to do what is necessary and provide the extra hand holding.
Best wishes
Susan

I agree with your point we are their to empower the students and provide them with the necessary skills and tools but they have to get the job on their own.

Hi Fiona
Sometimes a little extra handholding helps the student get over fears and barriers. And as the placement staff, you learn what may be missing in your employment skills training and placement services. It's about customer service. Your student is your customer.
Best wishes, Susan

This is a fabulous idea! I think it's wonderful to take samples of student work along with you and I definitely plan on incorporating this into my visits.

Hi Deborah
Samples of student work certainly do give everyone a nearly first hand feeling of what happens in the classroom and what the school experience is about.
Best wishes
Susan

I have also come accross this problem. I try to reiterate as much as possible that we are here to help. It is up to the graduate to go on the interviews and also to get their name out there. It is up to the graduate to sell themselves at the interview.

Hi Michelle
All very true. But in our opinion it is up to the school to do EVERYTHING possible to prepare the grad to be successful. Many students have to get over the FEAR of the job search before they can even learn to do it. So a lot of employment skills training is needed. That's our approach anyway. Best wishes, Susan

I've only been in my position for 6 months and noticed immediately that students/graduates were not motivated at all! Resumes were being written for them, instead of teaching them how to do it for themselves and I've had to step in and change perceptions, or should I say reality.

I was asked to put together an "Action Plan" for the Placement Department and a timeline for 2008 in meeting goals and objectives. Some of the goals I've put in place are employer mock interviews VS. instructor interviews, career days for each degree program, moving the job boards next to the placement office and resource library, and putting a mirror in the hallway with the heading, "Would you hire this person."

I've lived in my city all my life and know many people and I am slowly but surely working on creating apprenticeship programs for automotive technicians so they don't have to start out in the field making $8 or $9 an hour, visiting classes consistently so students will get to know me and what I will and will not do for them.

It's a slow process, but I believe will eventually pay off and get everyone including instructors, department supervisors, admissions, marketing, dean of students, students/graduates and of course, myself involved and working together cohesively.

Wow Delores, you are doing an incredible job. You have demonstrated that there is a lot that has to be done to build an outstanding placement department. And one step at a time you see results. Thanks, Susan

I agree. We start right away with the students, letting them know what is available and to stop in to the office. We let them know that we will do everything to find jobs except they have to do the interview and win the job. We give them all the tools and if they listen they shoud wind up winning the job search.

Hi Richard

Great that you let the student know about career services at the beginning of their school experience. We find that students almost have to be required to go to the placement department on a regular basis. Otherwise they won't go on their own. Placement skills have to be a requirement to be effective. Otherwise students think they can start the job search process when they graduate and by then we all know it's late. Thanks, Susan

Hi there,

After reading all of these posts I am really thinking about doing a job/resume writing/interviewing seminar here at the school for graduates and even for current students who might me a little un-easy about the job search process. I dont know who said it first, but that is an excellent idea to get everyone more motivated and thinking about it even before they finish!! If anyone has any good ideas about setting this up, please let me know!!

Thank you!

Good idea Joanna. We encourage the career services department to require a series of assignments including resume writing, interviewing, and a lot more. It's about giving students skills. Also confidence. And that takes time. And very good idea to include grads and alumni. There are a lot of grads out of work. So that would be a great service to them all. And it's always a good idea to keep in touch with grads. You can help them. And they can be a great resource to the school. And an endorsement! Thanks, Susan

In the school whee I work, I create an Employment Guide which include all the professisonal step that they can follow with the necessary tools and professional strategies to make wise choices in job selection as well as provide an opportunity to visualize their career.

My school uses something similar & I am constantly telling my students to spend time with that guide. I think these can be great resources for them.

Good point. Sounds like job search training is integral to the students school experience. We feel that each student needs a lot of hand holding when it comes to employment skills training. They need interaction from staff, teachers, employers, grads, other students. It takes time to develop the confidence and skills to go on that first interview. Thanks, Susan

An Employment Guide sounds great. Are all students required to complete it? Are the tasks reviewed by anyone, discussed in class, or evaluated. We feel that employment and job search skills assignments should be required throughout the students school experience. In that way it is possible that they will be prepared for their first interview. These skills can't be learned on the last day of class. Thanks, Susan

What we have started to do in our school with our students is at the last 6 weeks they are here they have homework from Career Services department. We give them an assignment of looking for three perspective employeers, they have to contact them talk with the office manage find out what it would take to be hired by them, let them know they are in school and will be doing an externship, see if they would let the student do thier externship with them, with a possible hire!. Once they get the three names we tell them that Career Services will do the follow for them or with them. Most so far seemed to like the Idea, we did just start this so hopefully it helps.

Sharon cologero

Really great to have relevant and required assignments. Suggest you evaluate each step to see what you can learn. Then set up policies and procedures to follow so this can be handled by several people on staff. Thanks

Our challenge is that students rely too much on our services in getting to a final resume and finding companies of interest. We try to encourage students to take a first stab at their resume and do an initial search of the jobs on our database, but too often we find that students don't schedule follow up meetings. I'm beginning to wonder if they get overwhelmed and don't think we are willing to help. On the other side, I don't want the staff writing resumes and doing individual searches for every student. Advice?

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities