Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That's great news. There are Workforce offices throughout the U.S. Great idea for all of us to check to see if there is a knowledgable Job Developer on staff. And then see if the person is willing to work with you on career and employment skills. Thanks for the good info.

I have reached out to the Bureau of Statistics, Career Info Net and the Workforce Investment in my state to support trends, salaries, skills and knowledge regarding classroom curriculum. All have been supportive in their ability to provide me with updated information regarding job placement for my graduates.

I have been successful in keeping Program Advisory Board Member by inviting all to give feedback and to present a list of training that they would like to see our school provide for potential candidates. We get equipment donations, employers who want to teach a specific class for a specific need and much needed feedback for success.

Stephanie,
It's great that you are getting bona fide stats re salaries, etc. Be sure that the information you collect is specific to your area. There can be a great difference in salaries and job openings depending on where you are located. Many state licensing agencies do require that the placement information you provide is documented. Great point. Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

Stephanie,

Sounds like you are doing everything right, Stephanie. Very impressive. We feel every career school should have an active Advisory Board regardless of whether required. If you get the right people and hold just the right number of meetings - not too many and not too few - you will be able to determine how well your training matches the needs of the workplace. Grads should be work ready on day 1 on the job and not need any additional training to make a difference where they work. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Faculty are a great resource. Particularly part time faculty that also work in the industry they teach. These are employers and educators so they have a high stake in sending the right message to students on what employers expect of a new graduate and good advice on how to get started in their career.
One of the best community resources for guest speaker series on the industries we teach have been our alumni. Because we have an existing relationship with these folks, it makes it a really easy sell and often times our alumni want to give back in some way. Having alumni present also gives the student a new perspective to consider, the people you are in class with could one day be your peer, boss, or your employee!

Josephine,

Great points. Working faculty ideally talk about how the skills and knowledge they teach are used in the workplace. Hopefully they talk about the workplace a lot - the challenges and the satisfactions. This is a way to help students get used to or prepare for the world of work. We totally agree about the value of Alumni. They are usually ready, willing, and able to help in whatever way possible. They are credible people in the admissions department, can mentor students to help keep them in school. Alumni can also assist with placement by reviewing resumes, holding mock interviews, and lots more. When training students in the interview process, alumni might think of a job opening where they work that would be ideal for the student upon graduation. Maxk offers an online course on building Alumni Communities. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities