Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Professional Associations

Having students join professional associations while in school seems like a great idea. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas they implemented at their schools to encourage and increase the amount of students who do join professional associations?

Danny Fritz
Remington College
Heathrow, FL

Hi Danny
Great question. The easiest way to get students to join professional organizations is to make membership a part of their tuition. Then all you have to do is give them the forms to fill out in class and collect and send them in. The small fee is worth the feeling of professionalism that the students get. And impact on retention. Best wishes, Susan

Most of these professional organizations are affordable because they have student rates. I goggled most of them and bring the applications along w/ the fees and print outs of why they should join. One example would be the AAMA for Medical Assistants who charge $28 for students. The fees vary by state so you would have to go the website for fees. My issue is a limited budget at my campus keeps me from joining some of these organizations. I would like to join the Chamber of Commerce when the budget allows. Any subjections on professional organizational that are less expensive for Career placement professionals.
Gina

HI Gina
Interesting problem re you or your school joining local organizations. Most community or professional associations allow you to attend a few meetings. Why don't you do that? Then you can determine the true networking opportunities and have evidence to support your requests for membership. Ten memberships could probably be paid for by one student enrollment. And, the more people who know about your school, the more resources you have for enrollment, placement assistance, and more. Good luck, Susan

Hello,

Our college has made the cost of certification exams a part of the student's tuition. Most of our programs have some type of certification attached...Automotive, their first 3 ASE certifications are included in their tuition; for Massage the national certification exam through NCBTMB; for Medical Assistants, national certification through AMT, etc. All throughout their programs, with the support of the faculty, the students are encouraged to take these certification exams and are prepared for them. As a result, my placement rates have improved drastically and our retention as well. The big key is to make sure your admissions department includes this information to the enrolling student. It encourages them to enroll knowing we aren't throwning them to the wolves (so to speak) after graduation.

Our placement department has joined our city's Chamber of Commerce, as well as, surrounding cities. We are a smaller town and becoming members of nearby Chambers of Commerce has really increased the community's awareness of our college and the skills our graduate's will offer their workforce. Most Chamber's of Commerce have networking meetings specifically designed to promote your business. They usually offer food and drink too!

Hi Pam
Sounds like you are doing everything right. And of course the snacks are a nice benefit! You might look around to see what other organizations there are in your area. Maybe some professional orgs that relate to your programs. Or other networking. Sometimes you have to try them all to see which ones are right for right now. Best wishes, Susan

HI Pam
Another great idea. We think that certification exams also make the student and then the grad feel more professional right from the start. And you have demonstrated how certification improves retention and placement. Students get serious about their education from the first day of school. It keeps the focus on going to school in order to start a career. Not necessarily to have fun like in high school. Keeping admissions informed is vital. You might want to plan weekly updates with your admissions people. Best wishes, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities