Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

HI Krista
Interesting situations. Are you talking about managing how a student will spend time with employment skills training and placement activities amidst completing courses? It's a challenge. Sometimes placement staff simply have to take time to visit the classroom.
Sounds like you have a great job board. Why not send it to students as well so they see what kinds of jobs will be available to them. Can act as a retention tool.
Best wishes
Susan

I like to do a job posting that has to be picked up in my office--I have it ready every Tuesday and the students know that I will be expecting to see them by Tuesday evening. If they do not pick up the new posting I call and see what is going on. I do not like to mail, fax or email the posting. I want students to come dressed for interviews and start looking for work. I find that when I do that the students do not get lazy and they usually start working within weeks of pickling up a few job leads.

If they don't come pick it up and you follow up with a phone call, what are you finding are their reasons for not coming out? Do you encourage them to go straight from your office to the company that posted? I'm liking this idea, but trying to figure out what the roadblocks may be.

Hi Hildie
Great way to build responsibility and keep students aware that they have to take control over their job search activities.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi
To discover roadblocks or how effective any strategy is suggest you plan ongoing outcomes assessments. You can use surveys, meetings, or anything to get information about how something is working.
Best wishes
Susan

A lot of times this is how I weed my students out--If they continue not to pick up leads I do not work as hard for them--Gives me more time with students that are actively looking. Yes they go from me to employers--this allows me to see how they are dressing before going out for interviews. When they are with me I will call the lead and set an appoitment if possible.

Hi Hildie
It's always natural to work with our best students. But the ones who don't pick up the leads are probably those who need the most help. The satisfaction takes longer. But people know when you have given up on them or are going the extra mile.
Best wishes
Susan

I don't write them off--I continue to call them on a dailey basis and motivate them to come in I just do not set up as many leads for them because they do not always follow through and it gives me more leads for the people that are actively looking. If I have a place of business that has too many no shows for appointments they will not contact me for more positions.

I totally see where you're coming from! Where do you find that happy medium with helping everyone equally and yet maintaining the good name your school has with the community? I have the same problem with a couple of students who no matter where I send them for an interview they insult someone or in some other way do not behave professionally. It's a poor reflection on the school, and you're right - the employers tend to stop asking for referrals.

I have a placement agreement that my students sign that basically tell them they can loose placement priveledges if they do not show for three or more interviews, fail a drug screening, or are dismissed for unprofessional behavior. You will always have a couple but for the most part if you start working with your students before graduation they will know these things and it will not be as big of a problem. Also if you work with them prior to graduation you know which students can be set up at certain places. There are all kinds of establishments that can fit most of your personalities.

That is an excellent idea!

Hi Hildie
A placement agreement sounds great. Can you make it available to all of us.
Thanks
Susan

I am starting at a new college and am not sure of what our policies here will be but this is an example of what my agreement was at my previous placement department. I used copy/paste so please excuse spacing.

I _____________________________________ have read and understand the rules of the placement department.

While the campus does not guarantee placement following graduation, reasonable effort will be made to assist the student in securing suitable employment. ___________College's Career Service Associates stand ready to address the following steps in the preparation for the job search:

1. Reviewing a graduates resume
2. Assisting in interviewing techniques
3. Counseling for Career choice
4. Marketing the graduates skills
5. Generating job leads

The student may loose Placement services by doing one are all of the following:

1. Not showing to numerous job leads with out contacting the employer.
2. Failure of a drug screening.
3. insubordination
4. Not behaving in a professional manner.
5. Getting fired from numerous jobs for tardiness, drug screening, absenteeism, and insubordination.

_____________________________ _______________________
Student Signature Date

HI Amy and Hildie
Interesting dilemma. Maybe the poorly performing students need to take extra "placement" training in order to quaify for job leads. Offer remediation on how to develop rapport with prospective employers.

Best wishes
Susan

Thanks. Really very helpful. Susan

good idea

We have a similar placement agreement and with revamping the placement department we need to enforce ours more. I run into the same problem often were we have a few companies that come to the school to do interviews and we have a handful of students that no show or call that morning to cancel.

I really like the idea of having the students come to my office to pick up the job leads. Thanks for all the great ideas.

HI Krista
Always a problem to get students to show up or do anything. Have you thought about the placement contract that students sign committing to complete all placement activities? With that list what you expect them to do starting with employment skills training, getting ready to dress for success, etc. And put consequences in place for not adhering to their signed agreement.
Best wishes
Susan

R G
R G

We began to develop our career placement services within the last year with much success thus far. In addition to providing career preparation workshops, fairs, and counseling, we also provide a unique opportunity for students interested in pursuing self-employment right after they graduate or later on in life. We match young entrepreneurs with successful business men and women who can provide valuable advice regarding the career world. Such mentoring services are wonderful opportunities for motivated students interested in taking their career to whole new heights.

Hi Rayyan
Great to hear that your placement department is doing so well. What kinds of surveys are you using to measure all areas of service and student and employer satisfaction? How are you using the results?

We think it is a great idea to train interested students and grads in how to set up and market their own businesses - entrepreneurship. We feel that there are many careers where self-employment is an option and highly desired. In fact, mature students may be highly attracted to training that will result in choices of full or part-time work or setting up a business of their own.
Anything you can share with us in terms of services and materials would be great.
Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities