Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Motivation

Student motivation, has a lot to do with the intrest in the classs.

If we keep them motivated and have stucture, the class would

flow much easier and be fun.

Motivating students is a challenge. It has to do with the instructor, the subject matter, the environment and the student. The student should be motivated within or iternally and externally. I think adult learners are more motivated than child learners. I teach adult learners, I try to connect everything to their career field that they are entering.

@stallings : I agree.  Adult learners are here for a specific reason and are ready to move forward after their education. 

The most important thing that a person can do in this world is dream, and then act on the dreams. For me a dream is not just a dream about the person themselves, but the dream must encompass others. Only then is a dream achievable, and will promote the betterment of all.

Donald L. Buresh

@stallings : I agree, motivating students is a challenge. I find that even with adult learners who are motivated to learn, a challenge in the process can completely derail them and cause them to lose their motivation. It's as much about what is happening in the classroom as what is happening in their surrounding environment as well.

@stallings : I agree but along with that, the platform needs to be user friendly so that all of the other elements (the instructor, the subject matter, the environment and the student) can communicate and learn at the highest levels

Michael

@Lovelife44 : Even though the students are adults, in this fast food mentality time in which we live in, it is difficult to keep even the most focused students engaged mentally.  I try to support their engagement by breaking up my presentation.  Lecture, PowerPoint slides, a dvd of the specific subject, all in segments small enough so that they don't fade away.  I know that they want to be there in the class but even though they do, sometime it is a challenge for them to stay focused.  I try to help them do that!

Yes, we all agree that motivating students is a priority and a challenge.  Our students entered a program to learn skills for a new career position.  We can use Power Point presentations, small group discussions, presentations and creative projects to build their interest and keep them motivated.  I feel that, whatever we do in the classroom as instructors, we must always focus on the new career skills we are presenting to our students.  Being relevant and showing urgency are often our best tools in motivating our student.

@stallings :

It doesn't matter what the career is, it is very hard to motivate on gen ed courses. They don't see it valueble. They want to know what to do at their job, not the grammar or math... It is possible to motivate but is much more difficult.

@inesamak :  My question is how much of the lack of motivation is attirbuted to the existing curriculum?  I find that if an instructor can design courses at any level that engage the students in areas of personal or future interest, then you will find greater motivation and engagement.  If at the developmental level, we are asking students to read material which does not relate to their lives, interests or future studies, how can we expect them to be motivated?  So, I will be quite interested in viewing the curriculum of a developmental course with this schema in mind.

Dennis Rowen

Graduate Professor of Literacy/Technology

@NTrotter : I think it is important to change up the types of assignments from week to week. When curriculum is presented in the same manner each week, it stagnates the students ability to think outside of the box. The student sees the same types of assignments and discussion and therefore begins to pattern their thoughts with regards to constructing their responses and assignments.

I agree, motivation involves making the subjects interesting by finding different methods in transferring subjects to students.

I think it is important to remember when working with traditional and non-traditional students that there is a whole lot of competition for their attention. There are a variety of things necessary to be successful. I see many answers from my colleagues in their responses. Organization is essential. Flexibility is a must. Good communication with students is an important component. Being creative and changing the types of assignments you give also helps. The most important thing for me, however, is making a connection with the student. Individually. If I don't make some sort of a connection, I lower the chances of my student being successful. 

Lyn McLaurine

@NTrotter : I agree, students have to remain interested to continue excitement about the course content.  We have alot of lab sessions and experienced students tend to become bored and uninterested in material presented.  We have found partnering them with inexperienced students works best for both.

Partnering the students is a great idea. The strong student may be able to re-instruct the weaker student in language that is easire to understand. The strong student will have the benefit of reinforcing the information in their own mind. I use this technique in my program as well!

Lyn,  I really like your words concerning Student Motivation,"Organization is essential. Flexibility is a must. Good communication with students is an important component. Being creative and changing the types of assignments you give also helps."  You concluded that you also need to connect with the individual students.  Thank you for your thoughts.  I thought you " Hit the Nail on the Head."

Sign In to comment