Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ED 102

I really enjoyed ED 102, I learned some very interesting points on refocusing.  I will incorporate some of the information I learned in my class lecures, and what really stuck out to me is the part in the section about "helping a student recapture their commitment to their learning."

I enjoyed Ed 102. I learned a lot about movitating students. I've already implemented some new techniques into my class. (1) Question my self about how I would feel if I were in the same situation. I found it does help with verbal cues. (2) Non verbal cues such as just showing enthustiasm when listening to a student response and making sure that the student has my fulless attention. (3) Finding out why the student and how the student plans to use the knowledge received from the class. One technique I had implemented in my classes previously is engrading. This program allows the student to see their progress online. Their test scores are posted almost immediately. When the program was initiated in my classes, I immediately received feedback from students stating how happy they were to know their test results right away.

I also enjoyed the ED 102 course. It made me more conscious of making sure I attempt to include all students in class discussions, and not overlook the quiet students. And even if the students refuse to speak, I need to at least look their way and acknowledge them with a smile or small positive comment. 

This course also made me more conscious of those days when I begin to feel burned out. On those days, I realize my tone of voice may not be very energetic, and this can cause  students to drift off and lose interest in the topic of the day. I will try from now on to be energetic even when I am not feeling at my peak, because it can have an effect if students see that your energy level is always low. This can have an effect on student retention, when you can't get excited about what you are teaching. 

I enjoyed the course. I am rather "new" to teaching so it is all new and fresh to me, but I realize that one day it will not be so new. I plan to use this knowledge to motivate my students and keep both the students and myself excited about the subject matter.

I thought one of the best parts of the course was about engaging students via their goals and motives.

As an IT professional one of the things I saw time and again was colleagues whose commitment is based on their desire to learn more.  As an instructor I want to cultivate that desire in my students by showing them how that drive can fuel thier career.

I completely enjoyed this course! So many things I was reminded of that are vital to student success. I especially liked the section "Reasons for Learner Motivation." "The Motivating Instructor" reminded me why I became a teacher. All four of these areas hit home for me.

I really enjoyed ED 102 as well. It was an enlightening and interesting learning experience.

I have to admit I wasn't really impressed with the Harvard Business School highlights.  They didn't seem to have anything insightful to say, and it seemed like they were just winging it.  Maybe I'm being too harsh?

I agree with Timothy.  I was not really impressed with the harvar Business School highlights.  Didn't learn anything from those segments.

I enjoyed ED102 for many reasons.  The age diversity and cultural diversity are very real situations where I teach.  It makes me continually adjust my approach to changes throughout any given day.  The information gleaned in this course has given me more positive techniques that can be applied to various situations that may arise in the classroom.  It has also given me more insight into the thinking process of some of my students.  Thank goodness I printed it for future reference!!

As I am sure we can all agree... I believe that learning begins by understanding.  I believe it is imperative to build student confidence and maintain motivation to keep them moving forward especially when courses become increasingly difficult.  I believe that instructors play an instrumental role in the level of expertise, preparadness, enthusiasm and movtivation they demonstrate towards the course they are teaching.  Instructors play a pivitol roll building up or tearing down students confidence by their abilities to connect or not with each individual student.  This course provided relevant and necessary information in the retention methods I will be using in future courses.

The course I am responsible for is 'blue collar' related.  After dealing with the frustrations of retention, as every academician does, I've discovered some very useful and effective tools during this course.

This course helped me recognize that 'the basics', are still effective.  Great communication skills, the willingness to listen and positive feed back still goes a long way.

Although it is obvious the cultural and age diversities each classroom undoubtedly has, the defining of just the 'age' differences in this course has opened a whole new approach to instruction for me.  Focusing on the non-traditional student as well as the traditional one will be useful.  Throughout most of our enrollment year and the recession that we are in, we have 'older' students trying to reset their lives by taking on another career.

This will assist with engaging them during the instruction.  It gives them a sense of worth during the course as well as assists bridging the gap with the younger students by allowing them to share what has worked for them.

10 days ago

To me this was a very enjoyable course to take and helped me to refocus on some issues which I had subconsciously moved to the back of my mind. Especially the age and cultural diversity gave me lots to re-think and re-plan and focus more on these two aspects. It also made me more aware of my body language and tone of voice - will have to work on some of these on my "bad days".

The course will hopefully help in encouraging the marginal student.

I enjoyed the information provided.

EL102 was very informative and provided some very helpful information regarding online instruction and managing the E-learner for success.  I thoroughly enjoyed the information received.

ED 102 was very intersting and l learned that body language is very important and so is the tone of voice I will have to learn to adjust to them in good and bad days and the days my adult students make me upset

ED 102 reminded me that there are some very basic ideas to refocus as an instructor that will also motivate the student as a result. Reminding the student why they chose this course/career is the same as what you would do when you lose your zest for the subject matter. As an instructor you should set the example, and if you are enthusiastic and prepared for the course then the student will do so as well.

Veronica,

I can relate!  Some days these "adult students" act like they are in pre-school - and I'm ashamed to admit that it shows in my attitude at times.  However, I keep reminding myself and my students of the professional behavior required by employers.  Striving for professionalism seems to be a big hurdle for some of the students we work with in our location. 

Sign In to comment