Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Burnout

What do you think can cause burnout in this sort of role?  How do we avoid it?

Burnout seems to happen when you dont have the true intentions of helping someone anymore or maybe with quotas that may be placed upon you

Funny you should ask we just covered burnout in my leadership class :) "

Burn out is:

Physical, emotional, and spiritual exhaustion among care givers Professional burnout is generally described as prolonged stress that impairs one's ability to perform his or her job in demanding situations. *Precursors to professional burnout include, but are not limited to, employee workload, chronic fatigue, compassion fatigue, balance between family and career, sickness absence, and loss of confidence. *Administrators must watch for early signs of professional burnout to improve retention and promote employee morale.  "

Whatever your job the fix is the same - you HAVR to do something for you to replenish yourself. My cousin goes for hard hikes in the mountains, I like listening to the waves at the beach. MAybe for you its working yourself into total exhaustion gardening, or watching a movie that makes you cry. Whatever it is the sooner you do it the less drained you will be and the easyier the recovery will be. If you have let yourself reach the burned out stage you may need to take a sebatical which most of us can't afford financially which is why it needs to be dealt with before you get to that stage.

I totally disagree with Keith - burn out isn't about intentions at all, its when you have spread yourself so thin for so long that there are no reserves left for you to call on and if left untreated can lead to suicide so don't blame the victim. We have demanding professions and there is only so much anyone has to give and when it is gone its gone and the only thing left is your soul, so if you keep giving you become nothing and have nothing to to give even to yourself. 

Sign In to comment