Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you break the ice when meeting a potential student?

I greet with a handshake and ask how thier trip in was.

I always find something positive to compliment the student on. Could be the color they are wearing, there shoes or even there beautiful smile. I find that this helps them to be more relaxed and this helps them to let down their guard.

I always let them know that I am glad they are here and i will do my best to help them.

Always let them the tell me about something the did recent that excites them or what they did the past weekend or what will the be looking forward  to do this weekend.

@Michael39 :  I have found over the years that if you can get the student talking about themself then this is a great way to get them out of their shell so to speak.  We as agents have a tendency to want to do all of the talking; however, practicing active listening skill is one thing we always forget.  People like to talk about themselfs and this is a big key to getting the student to open up.  Ultimately it's not about us but the student.

I greet them with a handshake, maybe offer them a refreshment. I like to get them talking using open ended questions.

The best things to do are 1.) be yourself-- enthusiasm and friendliness put them at east. 2.) Find out about them. Open-ended questions and what their interests are, I've found, helps them to decide on what career they'd like to enter. Perhaps you have a quick story about their interest that helps you 'relate'. Once they open up, you can find out their fears about college and address each issue individually. Many of my students-- even now-- are first-generation and aren't getting much info from their HS counselors about crucial college-related items. You may need to cover some of that ground, but slowly-- so they're not overwhelmed by info overload.

@Michael39 : I  kind of do what yo do but I always say "welcome to school name.  I asked them questions such as :

1) How thier commute was?   

2) How is the weather out thier?

3) Did they find us ok?

Just basic questions to break the ice.

Use small talk then link it to something you have in common.

Great comments! I always greet everyone who walks onto our campus with enthusiasm and genuine interest. After greeting them in the lobby and bringing them back into my office I read over their welcome sheet and ask simple closed questions that are easy, and comfortable. Each potential student is unique and interesting, so it is fun and easy to explore with open ended questions that allow them to talk freely about their needs, interests, and goals.

I always extend my welcome with a handshake, introduce myself and welcome the student to the college and to our campus. I feel this type of greeting creates a warm and friendly environment putting that student at ease and/or more comfortable. It is so great to read the different interactions that we all have with our students. I agree with Michael39, be yourself.. Thats what makes us unigue, too!

I am always ready and waiting for them, and fully prepared with information and literature.  If I am ready and prepared then I will feel confident the meeting will go well.  Greet them with a smile and welcome them as well as offer them refreshments.  It is always interesting to hear where they have come from or how their day went.  Be an active listener!

This is part of the role that I love!

@Michael39 :  i find it helpful to congratulate them on taking the first step, of coming into the campus and reviewing information.

@Michael39 :  If a student is a walk in without an appointment.  I welcome them to the school and shake thier hand.  I will invite that student to my office so we can discuss in a private setting the purpose of thier visist.

If I had a scheduled appt with them.  I also shake their hand, thank them for keeping their appt and assist them.

I always make the student feel welcome and let them know I am ready to assist.

When meeting a student for the first time, I introduce myself and ask them their name.  I like to tell them a bit about myself and why I like this course.  After that, they seem to open up a bit and I can then get a sense of what their learning style may be.

@Michael39 : We always welcome them as if they were coming to our home.  We offer them something to eat or dring and make them feel like a welcomed friend.  Most people say they have never been in a place where they are treated like family from the minute they walk in the door.  We answer the phone bysaying "It's a great day here at..."  and it usually is because of the like minded people in the building they have a passion for education and deeply care about the students.

The basic principles of customer service haven't changed much over the years.  When I started as an admissions rep back in the late 80s, our interview presentation began with giving the prospect a short, simple, sincere compliment.  I would keep the SSSC acronym in mind.  The compliment could be on their professional appearance, an item of clothing/shoes, their punctuality, or even their handshake - as long as it is sincere and genuine.  If you think about the disposition of a prospect when they visit your campus - they may be anxious, have doubts and reduced self-esteem, etc.  A small, sincere compliment can be a start to your client feeling better about themself and set the tone for a positive experience at your school.

I have found that if I just show a true concern for why they are here, then the walls begin to remove themselves and a better understand can be reached.  Most people start with simple questions, I tend to make sure that my body languge as I approach them is one that shows exceptance and concern.  I dont let them feel that I am distracted or have other things on my mind.  I want them to understand right out of the gate, that I am here for them and them only.  I will not answer an incoming phone call, nor do I let other people interrute me unless it is an emergency.  By setting the tone and atmostphere, people understand and accept that the are the focus of why I came to work that day.

I am a new hire still in training, however, after being trained to understand that the Customer is the Most Important thing, that is the Reference Point to draw from.  The sell or Enrollment will happen, if we completely lay back, let the potential student tell you "fully" why they have called, what they are thinking about, where there life is currently standing, what are their Biggest Dream.  I believe if you engage each "potential student" with this attitude, you will have to "close" the deal and have a happy and satifised student who will Graduate and tell others. 

Just my take on it.  

Cassie

@kclark0703 : @Michael39 : More than small talk is needed: like asking about their aspirations and

expectations from the course and just where they see themselves is one, two , and three years out.

Sign In to comment