Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Accreditation Basics | Origin: CM150

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Understanding the Language and Intention of Accreditation Standards --> Accreditation Basics

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

En este modulo he aprendido el proceso tan largo que pasan las instituciones para poder obtener la acreditacion, siempre entendi que era importante, pero ya entiendo el porque y estoy agracedida de toda la informacion brindada en este modulo me hico entener como funciona las acreditaciones.

Hi! My name is Noelia and I work at the Catalan University Quality Assurance Agency (AQU Catalunya).

Although I do not come from an institution willing to be accredited, neither I work in the US, I thought this course by the INQAAHE would be extremely useful to help me get an idea of how the accreditation process in the US works, and the differences / similarities with our system. And this exactly what I have learnt from this first module. It has specially drawn my attention the fact that every institution is able to choose the Accrediting agency that wants to be accredited by, according to the compatibility in the mission and purpose of both. In Spain, it is mandatory to be accredited by the Agency of your state (there are regional accrediting agencies, like the one I work for).

In this module I've learned the extent process to obtain accreditation. Also, the differences between accreditations.

Learned the process of going through getting your accreditations. An the extent  a school can have without it.

I have learned an overview of the accreditation process aw well as differences in the various types of acrrediting agencies.

So far I'm learning about the six regional accreditations. I've also gone over the long list of accreditation agencies and I see how each one is very specific to their industries. 

In this module I have gained more in-depth understanding for what it takes for an accrediting body or commission to be recognized by the Department of Education, as well as their purpose and function in higher education. I had a vague understanding that accrediting bodies allow for an institution to receive Title IV funding, however I didn't realize the accrediting body also undergoes an in-depth process like the institutions go through. I learned about each of the types of bodies from regional and national to programmatic/specialized and what their unique functions are overall. I've found it is important to understand how to perform an in-depth self-study process not only for initial accreditation of an institution but also for renewal. 

As I have recently joined the QA unit in my institution, I now clearly understand now that the accreditation process in itself follows a PDCA cycle . Starting with applying the Standards, applying for reaffirmation and presenting the self-study, reaffirmation site visit (in my case as my institution is accredited), the review team's report, the institution's response and the loop is closed by the commission's letter of notification.

The mission statement for the respective accrediting body is essential to understanding the overall self-evaluation evaluation that needs to occur.

The accreditation process involves a very detailed comprehensive self evaluation of the inner workings of your institution. It is a valuable exercise to employ and master.

I have learned that knowing how to read and interpret accreditation criteria and how to express what your institution does in context to standards is very important. Each accrediting agency determines the type of schools it will serve.

Understand the mission statement for a school to be accredited.

In this module I learned how is the process of compliance en the USA. No so diferent of the Acreditation process in my country. Mainly depending of the type of agency with wich your institution work the issue. Also in understended  the time and the secuences at the process, as well as the importance of the self-study of the our institution and the relevance of the internal comunication and institutional  focus in this process.

To navigate the accreditation process successfully, institutions must not only comprehend the language and nuances of these standards but also grasp their underlying intentions. Accreditation standards encompass a wide array of aspects, including curriculum, faculty qualifications, student support services, and more. Therefore, interpreting these standards accurately and aligning institutional practices with their intent is vital for institutions seeking accreditation or those aiming to maintain their accredited status.

I learned that it's important to ensure that an accreditation agency's mission statement aligns with your institution.

This module has helped me to better understand the accreditation process etc. since I am new in the education field. 

Sign In to comment