Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Answering if a student is present

If a family member or friend calls to see if a student is present at the school can you answer their question?

Tracy, I would take a tell them I would take a message and if the person is there I will try to give it to them. I would also ask if there is an emergency. Without actually walking the building there is no way for us to know they are physically there.  Some students have restraining orders against family or friends, and  I would not want to alert them to the presence of the student on campus. 

If there is information in Campus Vue stating otherwise, I would follow that information. 

I also would take their name and phone number. I would then give the student the information.  There is a lot of outside problems with our students and I do not want to give the wrong information to the wrong person.

In an effort  to maintain the student's privacy I would kindly take a detailed message with the promise that this message will be promptly relayed to the student in question. 

I believe that this is a simple and effective solution.

Simple answer...No. You should not confirm or deny the student is in attendance at your institution, and even more importantly, whether or not they are present that specific day. Students right to privacy is crucial to uphold. Think of FERPA as the HIPPA of education. 

You should first check your system of record to see if the student has a FERPA release form on file and determine who he/she has permitted to have access to educational information (if anyone). You should do this with in the most careful way to ensure you have not indirectly confirmed the student is/is not in attendance at your institution (I would do this by placing the individual on hold after obtaining there name and any other self identifying information your school keeps on file for students with FERPA release forms ). Once confirmed there is a release on file for that person you may now speak to them. 

I believe only if the student had given a written consent to share the information.

Sign In to comment