Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Is is best to have an interview process based upon a points system or first come first serve basis when you can only enroll a certain number students?

What is the best process?

I had to think about this one! It sounds like your question is whether to adapt a first-come, first-serve for eligible students, or a one based on merit which is determined during the interview process.

All things being equal, which they never are, adapting a first-come, first-serve process in an impacted program can sometimes be a bit unfair. We may all hit "submit" at the same time, but it can be a game of chance in the end. From an administrative standpoint, the first-come, first-serve process involves the least amount of effort, but we're not in this business because it's easy!

For everyone involved in Education, our united mission (put in the most simple terms possible) is to serve the student. We are the students' advocate, and we should do whatever it takes to meet their needs.

When I was in University, I spent 2 years attempting to enroll in a general education English course to fulfill my GE requirement. The University uses the first-come, first-serve policy. I eventually enrolled in English four semesters into my college education, but I could have used the English classes to improve my writing skills during my first year. I dropped a Political Science class my first year and ended up with a Molecular Biology degree because I did not have the confidence in my writing at the time. Had I been able to "interview" or discuss my situation with someone at the time, I could have studied something completely different in college! That one little policy had an impact on the rest of my life.

In the end, the first-come, first-serve policy hardly ever serves the student. If your institution has the administrative support to conduct interviews, surveys, merit evaluations of any sort, it should be considered. At the very least, consider a policy that would take into account a student's personal situation or merit.

Sign In to comment