Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attendance policy, because it is the most often affected by students. The attendance policy let's the student know that should they quit they will owe.

If I was only able to provide one disclosure it would be occupations relevant to specific programs. Here is why. In the grand scheme of things a prospective student originally inquires about programs because they are looking for an outcome oriented result. They invest time and money into schooling with hopes of a new career. Working backwards, I would want to make sure that the career they are looking to enter is exactly what they envisioned while originally looking to obtain information. The last thing anyone wants including school and prospect is for an individual to enter a program and realize part way through that this is NOT what they expected the program to be.

I would disclose the weekly scheduled days to the students. Many of our students are returning non-traditional applicants. I hear it so many times how they need to notify their employer of their school schedules. If they have this disclosure then they would know in advance to prepare for the worst and make adjustments in their everyday lives.

employment rate is the most telling.

My institution is going through that process. One of its programs fell from 80% to 65%. We are in the process of reviewing the factors that affected the percent of pass rate (curriculum, teaching methods, changes in the exam, faculty, etc.)

Completion rates. Completion rates demonstrates the work of the institution to ensure that students achieve their academic goals.

I would disclose the truth about the workload and the expectations and present it in a way that would ensure that there would be no doubt as to the nature of the reality of it once they are entrenched in it. This will reduce complaints.

Probably mentioned a few times: graduation rates. Knowing that for-profit colleges face pressures from operating with a profit as well as pressures from serving students, the graduation rate can demonstrate (1) the school serves the student with a quality program, (2) the student has something that can lead to a meaningful job and career after the hard work and sacrifices made during the program of study, and (3) a high standard of operational excellence that attracts students and helps secure profits. As long as the right disclosures accompany graduation rates, this is the best disclosure to present to a potential student.

Brian - one idea (if this is the biggest concern at your school) is to focus on student support and retention rates of students with trouble in the program. Some students interested in a program at your school might be leery of the academic commitments and prerequisites - your disclosure could include a focus on retention services or list some of the specific services offered by the school so that potential students know that they are in a program they expect to be in, without surprises.

I think the employment rates are most valuable for a prospective student to know. I feel that students are willing to put in the hard work and sacrifices if they truly believe they have a chance for a better future.

I would choose employment rates. That's a students end result...is to find a career.

I agree that disclosing NCLEX pass rates is most important. This does not assure that said student will pass this exam but it is a good indicator of the programs success rate in meeting this objective. It also indicates that the program will adequately prepare students for meeting the demands of their new career when they finally do become employed.

programmatic accreditation, if without it student can not obtain license or certification.

Sign In to comment