Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Referring disabled students who have questions

I believe that even though I am an instructor and not an admission's rep, I do the best job at referring students to the appropriate offices. It simply makes sense to refer disabled students to to the appropriate offices if they have questions. This way misleading or untrue statements never exit my lips. I became aware that it was in my best interest to refer students (or parents) to the appropriate offices during my time in the Office of the Provost at my former institution. Once inaccurate information gets out, it's hard to reign it in. Helping any student, including disable students, is enhanced by referring them to the adequate offices and not running the risk of giving inaccurate information.

Samara,
You are right. The problem is only made worse when the information is given with the best of intentions but ends up being misleading.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

At the institution I was at before we were taught that we were to immediately get in touch with an ADA Officer when a student disclosed a disability. I worked in an online setting and never saw my students so unless they advised me of their disability, I wouldn't know unless it was obvious in their communication with me. Even then, if they did not disclose a disability, I wasn't able to share my concern with an officer. Often this wouldn't come up until they were in class and struggling (not everyone struggled).

Erenne ,
Even folks who work on traditional campuses may not know that they students they are working with have disabilities unless the student shares that information. The majority of students with disabilities currently enrolled in higher education have "invisible" disabilities -- LD, ADHD, and the others. What makes it more likely that they will disclose upfront, as would be preferable, is the attitude that YOU present. If they find an "accessible" listener... someone who is nonjudgmental and seems ready to believe in individual potential of all students, they are more likely to be forthcoming.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

One thing I would like to see is a list of organizations that give assistance for all typed of disabilities. Along with those, a list of help center organizations for our needy students.

Gloria,
I am not sure what kind of "assistance" you have in mind, Gloria. Are you talking about academic assistance, or disability-related assistance, or ??? And I am not sure how you are using the term "needy" in this context, either. Are you referring to students with and without disabilities who are financially strapped? Or are you talking about students with disabilities who are financial strapped? Or???

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree that someone who is nonjudgmental and seems ready to believe in individuals potential of all students ,they are more likely to be forthcoming. If you are a good listener and actually show concern for your students then they will disclose upfront. They will not feel like their a burden to you as long as you are displaying a good attitude towards students.

Shanita,
And, of course, that nonjudgmental, accepting behavior doesn't only help students with disabilities. It is an important quality to develop in support of ALL students.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree a nonjudgmental accepting behavior is an important quality to have in support of All students. You wouldn't want your students to feel like you are showing unfair preferential treatment to one person or group at the expense of another.

Sign In to comment