Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Disability Hostage

When I taught high school I encountered many situations where a student with a disability would become offended and isolated whenever he/she felt they were being singled out. This is very tricky when it comes to students'being labeled as different or inferior to the so called "normal" students. Its a very tricky area.

Londrea,
Hmmm... I would be careful about assuming that your experience with kids with disabilities in Special Ed programming in K-12 will necessarily generalize to college students with disabilities. The supports are different, the mechanisms are different, and the students are more mature!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I was not insinuating that they are the same I was just making a genral observation on human behavior. I am aware that they are in different stages in the their life and will respond to things variously, but I do believe from experience that the overall singling out is always tricky.But we also have to keep in mind we enroll new high school graduates as well. Thanks for your feedback.

Londrea,
It's your reference to "singling out" that worries me. Just remember that the way that services and support are provided at the college level is different than it is at the K-12 level, and that difference entails the college student coming forward, acknowledging the disability, and ASKING for support. Until they are ready to do that, nothing will be done for/to/with the student. While students in high school desperately want to "blend in", students with disabilities at the college level need to be mature enough to step forward. We don't do them any favors by trying to encourage them NOT to acknowledge their disability.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Okay thank you for your reply.

Sign In to comment