Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Avoiding Stereotypes

I think the article was a great article, because alot of people have a perceived stereotype of an individual before they formally meet them or get to know them.

Stacy,
Stereotyping is a problem in almost all circumstances (that is, with all populations), but it can be particularly devastating for students with disabilities because it often translates to lost opportunities. Because of stereotypes regarding what someone with _______ is capable of, others often make the assumption that the student shouldn't be allowed to try because they will only fail in the end. The problem is, people think they are making such a call for all the right "humanitarian" reasons -- "I was only trying to protect him/her" -- but the result is the same... restricted opportunity.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Restricted opportunites harm not only the student, but the profession in general. Who knows what contributions a student can make to his college, fellow classmates and his profession if the student is only given the opportunities afforded to all studnet.

darlene,
That's a GREAT attitude -- that everyone has something to contribute. I like it!!!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I fully agree. Each student should have the opportunity to go for and try whatever program they want to, provided they have the ability to do that program physically and mentally. If they can do - go for it. Don't let anything hold them back. I know of one student in particular at our institution who walks with crutches who is planning on trying the massage therapy program after she graduates from her current program! She is very committed and a try inspiration to others.

Tamela,
The trick is to remember that both the spirit and the intent of the law is to promise equal access (to opportunity), not equal results. Whether or not the student is successful is up to him/her... but they have the right to try.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

My career as a Miltary Liaison with non profit, education institutions and corporate America has introduced me to the "War Vet" and "Miltary Spouse" stereotype. I have engaged college representatives who question the sanity of students who have served. If a car backfires, they fear it will set them off. Also, as a military Spouse, we are immediately characterized as unstable. I have spend six years trying to convince these entites otherwise.

Erica,
Unfortunately, stereotypes (and their negative consequences) still abound. Because you know the danger of such unwarranted stereotypes, I am sure you are much more open in your own dealings with others.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment