Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In all three of the above circumstances, I would have permitted the mother to assist. Im not confident there is a correct answer here, just a best case scenario. In situations like these, I find it easier to help and accommodate rather than saying no- If the mother is a solution, why overcomplicate the situation with an unknown factor?

Robert,
For personal care or personal communication, being assisted by a family member or friend is just fine. But when it comes to academic issues, there are both legal and ethical issues that potentially come into play. For the same reason we do not let the person who tutors a student be the one to administer tests to that student, it is inappropriate to have family/friends too close to academic tasks or participation. They WANT the student to succeed, and drawing the line between the student's work and the student's-work-with-a-lot-of-help is often difficult for them to keep.

As to the legal ramifications (and just for the record), allowing the student to have her mother present is not accommodating the student. It is facilitating her participation. In some cases, that may be fine. But when the institution has a legal obligation to accommodate and they don't (instead, the let the mother provide a service that THEY are supposed to be providing), things can get complicated.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

That was my first thought as well. Is she going to need her mom with her at her job when she finishes school? That doesn't seem like a reasonable request.

This is not a a reasonable accommodation. By allowing her mom to attend class this will fall under the access vs success. The school has people in place to help who will not be incline to complete the work for the student as the mother will

Justin,
I am not sure I agree with your reasoning, although I agree with your conclusion. I don't see it so much as an issue of success vs access. I see it as an inappropriate accommodation at the college level and wonder if the student is truly "otherwise qualified" if she cannot manage independently.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I am just wondering if Mom is going to pay the tuition cost. Considering, she is attending the class and receiving the information other students are in some cases creating debts they may be paying for many years later. This appears to be a sneaky way to get a free education.

Gail,
Could be. It isn't likely that the mother is all that interested in getting the same courses and same learning that the student is choosing, but there IS, certainly, learning through osmosis that would likely take place. She couldn't quote it on her resume, though! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Let me begin by saying, NO, OF COURSE MOM SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO SIT IN ON HER CHILDS CLASS. This, as most others replied, is inappropriate. There should be no pondering the question or guilty feelings on the educators behalf, merely explaining to mom why this cannot be allowed. Perhaps, instead of reducing her child's educational experience, mom should work on her own disability and have that umbilical cord removed.

Sign In to comment