Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

class

The classroom setting should always accommodation those that are in the classroom whether larger, small, special need or no special needs.

It is true that colleges need to accommodate all students to assure equal access. I wonder though if this is true in the greater business world. For example, the airlines are talking about charging large people for two chairs. Ok...so they are accommodating the passengers size BUT is it ok to charge someone twice as much as anyone else because they are large. It seems like this would be discrimination against a health impairment. Is it only schools that can not charge for the cost of accommodation?

Marsha,
Employers and public accommodations (from movie theaters to restaurants to airlines) are all covered under the ADA as well. The issue of charging more for someone who takes up two seats is a dicey one. I would imagine they justify it by saying that they are charging for services used, rather than charging by the person (in other words, one ticket for one seat; if you need two seats, it will take two tickets). I agree. It doesn't seem to track.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

That is always the goal, but some classroom environments will do better than others. By keeping the class sizes limited conducive for learning, with or without a learning disability, is most advantageous.

Robert,
In my experience, the attitude of the instructor spills over to the attitude of students. A positive atmosphere that respects potential is generally a great support for any student.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I'm just not sure how they would be able to determine if the person was requiring two seats because of a health disability or not.

Amanda ,
Again, I think the charge is for the seats (in this case, two), without regard to who is buying them. If the person is so physically large that the airline cannot sell the seat next to them to someone else, they are losing revenue. I am not saying that is how *I* see it, or that I necessarily think it is the right thing to do. But I do understand the thinking.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment