Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Difficulty with exams

I currently have a student that is averaging a 45% - 50% on exams. In class, the individual seems to understand the material and participates in discussions. However, when it comes time for the exam there seems to be a mental block. I have spoken to this individual to ask if there was anything I could do to help and to find out what she thinks the problem might be. She made a comment that she often gets text anxiety. However, she has also already taken exams that thought she did really well, only to get another low grade. Another instructor allowed this student to take her exam in a more private location, thinking the stress of being in the class with others may be part of the issue. But test scores did not improve. Any suggestions?

Dawn,
Without knowing and talking to the student, I can't suggest anything else at this point. You have done the most important thing -- you have reached out and asked if there is something you can do to assist. I would remind you, though, that the fact that the student is doing poorly does not suggest anything about a disability. Not all students with disabilities have academic difficulties, and not all students who have academic difficulties have disabilities. When you equate the two in your mind, you run the risk of making assumptions about the competency of a student based on their status as disabled/not disabled. Such assumptions are generally not healthy for anyone.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I hear about test anxiety from many of my students. 1 thing I tell them is to write down everything you know on the margins and back of the test right away (that way they can refer to it when necessary during the test). Many have done this and told me this helped alleviate some of the anxiety and they were able to truly see how much they know. I told them "I don't care what the test looks like, as long as I can figure out the answer you meant to write." Hope this helps!

Amy,
I have heard the strategy you describe here referred to as a "data dump". Write it all down as soon as you come in so you don't have to worry about forgetting it! Good idea...

Dr. Jane Jarrow

How do we know the difference between a true disability such as ADHD and pure fear of test taking?

Kamaria,
You don't. Someone on your campus who is charged with collecting documentation and making decisions regarding eligibility for services should! If there is no one assigned to provide such decision-making, then you should bring the dilemma before your administration, both for the sake of the students and to protect you, as an instructor.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

if the instructor suspects a learning disability is there a procedure to be followed to get the student tested?

Gregory,
There should be someone at your institution who is charged with handling the documentation for students with disabilities and assisting faculty in determining appropriate accommodations. I would start with that individual in trying to determine how best to help.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment