Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Disabilities

I found this section very interesting the differences between LD and ADHD. I never really realized the different symptoms and behavioral problems associated with the two. Very informative.

Stacy,
It is not uncommon for students with learning disabilities to also have some attention problems, and students whose primary diagnosis is ADHD often *appear* to have the same academic difficulties as students with LD. Sorting out the underlying cause is important for the student in learning to manage their own difficulties (that is, in organizing their lives to optimize their own chances for success), but the accommodations we make academically may seem very similar.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

As a nurse, teacher and parent, I have seen first hand how LD and ADHD students struggle. Often in my experience when the student starts to get frustrated with the lesson or expectations they begin "acting out" or "shutting down" to cope. It is important for the teacher to recognize that the change in behavior may require a change in the teacher's presentation. It might be time for a hands on activity or a movement-type activity. Or something as simple as stop and tell a story to help redirect the stress and allow time for the student to gather themself and resume the classwork.

Miriam,
What you describe is exactly what I would want to see happen in a K-12 classroom. But at the college level, it is unlikely that instructors will have the time, patience, or expertise to recognize student distress and alter their teaching to meet the needs of a single student in class. That is why it is important both the teach students coping strategies and to have the right accommodations in place.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I did not know of the differences between LD and ADHD either and greatly benefitted from my reading of this section. I was particularly struck by the need to change teaching style depending on the giving disability. Very helpful.

Josh I was unaware of the differences between the two as well. However they are both relatively new diagnosis so I can understand why they're often not identified early on.

As an instructor I have had to work with these type of people. They have wanted to quit or just about give up on what they were trying to do, so I had to talk to them and calm them down and explain what they need to do to get the task done.

Sign In to comment