Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personal Service

I'm confused about tutoring being considered a "personal service." We very often provide individuals with diagnoses like ADHD or ADD tutoring as part of a success plan. If the student easily distracted in a 90 minute lecture they often request and legitimately need the one-on-one support to get all of the information. Isn't this required?

Aha! You answered your own question WITHIN the question, Elizabeth! You said that you often provide tutoring as part of a SUCCESS plan. That's fine. There is nothing to stop the institution from providing any support it chooses. But accommodations are not provided to foster *success*. They are provided to foster *access*. That makes a success-oriented service like tutoring to be useful, but NOT required under the law.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I see the difference as you explain it; however, I wonder if a peer tutoring session would be helpful in this case. Teaching helps learning and the one-on-one access will help the ADHD student as well. Although the institution is not responsible for providing a 'tutor' is it our responsibilities as educators to recognize a need and provide a process to learn to each student?

Sue,
As noted, Section 504 and the ADA provide a floor, and not a ceiling. They say "you may not provide LESS than what is required for equal access" but they never prohibit the institution from choosing to do more. If your goal is to foster success for ALL students, including those with disabilities, then the provision of a tutor as necessary, is certainly a logical step in that direction.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

It's an option not a noted requirement of the course curriculum so I believe that's why it falls under a "personal services" situation. WE offer tutoring in some situations because we believe it will help the student in their special circumstances.

As noted elsewhere, Barney, tutoring is a success-oriented strategy, and thus is not part of the "what we need to do for ACCESS" list of things. BUT, as you also note, the college can choose to offer tutoring (or any other service) that they want to in order to enhance the likelihood of student success -- and I am sure that the students appreciate the effort!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think that tutoring a student is both beneficial to the student and the instructor. The instructor may find steps in the tutoring process that helps the student. He/she can incorporate these steps into everyday classroom activities.

I can't deny that, Dennis. The difference is that tutoring can be a useful forum for learning (student and teacher) regardless of issues of disability. The student with a disability is neither more in need of, nor more entitled to, tutoring than are others.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I like to find the best visitors to my class and let them get the most out what is going on with the students. I find this to help me in class very often

Michael,
Again, I'm lost. What "visitors" are you speaking about? And how do they have anything to do with students with disabilities?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

i believe that tutoring should be an unspoken requirement for all instructors. We are the ones with the knowledge that the students seek and sometimes, just having that one-on-one discussion with the student is enough to allow them to connect with the material. I believe that class size and the personality of other students within the classroom can contribute to the disabled students difficulty grasping the information presented. From my personal experience with a student who suffers a learning disability, as well as ADHD, I have watched her utilize both tutoring resources from outside and within the school to enable herself to do the best that she possibly can and her grades have greatly improved.

Dena,
I am all for individualized attention for any/all students if the institution has the time and the resources to provide it. And 504/ADA should always be viewed as "a floor, not a ceiling." You cannot do less than what is required, but you are not prohibited from doing more. Just remember that while such extra attention will be greatly needed and appreciated by some students with disabilities, some will not need it at all... just as is true of their nondisabled counterparts.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

tudoring will benfit all students that one/one experience can help build their self confidence a student with disabilty knows if they're having promblems as well as a student with out a disabilty anthe insturctor can learn other ways to help others

I would think that it wouldn't be considered a "personal service" if the tutoring was available to all the students if needed, not just the student with ADHD or ADD.

Jacqueline,
You are correct. If the tutoring is available to all, it is not a personal service... but then it isn't being given as an accommodation, either.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree, I think that a tutor is far less of a personal service than several other services available If the tutor service is available to those with disabilities and it can help bring them to the level of understanding necessary, I don't see it as a personal service but moreof an educational service.

Laura,
If tutoring is available to everyone, then tutoring is not an accommodation. But tutoring itself (whether for students with disabilities or for all students) is a success-oriented strategy. The purpose is specifically aimed at helping students succeed. There is nothing wrong with that -- but that is NOT the purpose of accommodation (which is about access, not success).

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Personal tutoring is offered for every class and every student where I teach. The only stipulation is the student must ask for the help. That in itself is a complete brand new 'can of worms.'

Robin,
That's true, I am sure, for all students, Robin. It is great that the institution has chosen to be so supportive of the goals for all students!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I don't think tutoring should be a personal service. I think it should part of a plan for success. Where I teach it isn't considered a personal service.

Sign In to comment