Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

handicapped students

I think its important to be sensitive to students needs and attentive based on the situation

I agree this is very important, yet we find and I am sure you have as well that most of these studens are angered at sympathy. They really desire equality and respect.

It is important to be sensitive to the needs of others, regardless of disability. I believe that the need is to create an even playing field for all. It is imperative to make education accessible to anyone who wants it and will work for it. If that means I have to make a few deviations from my normal routine in class, then so be it. As people, they have the right to want to better themselves.

Londrea,
As you note, empathy and sympathy are two different things. While we want instructors to understand the challenges that disability can impose, it is never appropriate to patronize students with disabilities, or to treat them as anything less than the full students they have proven themselves to be in order to enter your program. NEVER underestimate! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Jeremy,
You are right -- that is what it is all about. When you look up the word "fair" and the word "just" in the dictionary, you will find that (in this context) "fair" means "the same to everyone" while "just" means "each according to their need." It is the Department of JUSTice that oversees the ADA and support for students with disabilities.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Yes! Perfectly worded we should never underestimate, but encourage and motivate.

How wonderful that we are able to do our very best within our ability and have the opportunity to do so. All you can do is try to improve yourself everyday- That's what career education all about and how we earn livings. G-d Bless America.

Robert,
While I agree with what you have said here, I don't see anything that relates it to students with disabilities. And I am not sure that is a bad thing! You see students with disabilities as needing (and hopefully, getting) the same opportunities that everyone else gets. That's what it is all about!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

It is important to be sensitive to people with handicaps and disabilities. But also, be strong in supporting them and having them believe in themselves first. That is the best motivation for them first.

rose,
If what you are saying is that people with disabilities deserve to be recognized for their potential, not just their limitations, then I'm all for it!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Tto encouragee the handicapable student to succed and gain confidence that they can succed is what is needed. Having two special need adult children I have learned much and have transfered that into what I practice in the classroom.

Theresa,
I am sure that your students have benefited, over time, from your personal experience brought to bear on their situation.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I try to use my personal experience farom my own family and previous job positions when with the students. Most of them are in the medical field and need to understand how to interact with persons with disabilities.

Theresa,
It is always helpful for students to have real-world examples, rather than discussion of practice in the abstract.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment