Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Backrounds Check

This is definitely a must. Especially in the education industry, we want to make sure that our stds are protected from everyone.

i believe it is important to have a background check for everyone not only for our students but other employees.

I am discovering that there are background checks and then there are background checks; they are not all equal. An institution must consider the "quality" of the background investigation along with consideration of cost. Many clinical affiliates are now requiring that specific firms be used to perform the background checks of the students that are to be rotating through their facility. The educational institution often then has multiple background checks performed in order to meet the requirments of the affiliate.
The challenge is to locate and utilize a company that conducts complete, accurate and acceptable background investigations and reports.

Yes it is important, we wouldn't want to put a student through a course and find out they cannot get a job when it's all said and done.

Performing backround checks are very important because it protect the school from unknowingly hiring individuals with inappropriate criminal backgrounds. Which I feel is VERY important

Kelly very well said. i also believe a backround checks on our student are a necessity.

I totally agree Background checks are essential.

I think background checks are very vital to ensure a prospective student's success. If they aren't going to be able to get hired in a field they want b/c of a criminal background, then there is no point in wasting their time and money on that program.

Background checks are important for employees and for students. When working with the public it is vital to know you are working with an honest individual.

I think it is a great idea to always do a background check on a potential new student because it lets us know who we have going to our school.

Currently within our institution background checks are not required for all programs. I personally think this is something that should be looked into. If a potential student invests time and effort into your institution and graduates without any prospects of finding a position based upon their criminal background, I personally feel that somewhere this has to be an ethical violation.
I also feel that the diplomas and degrees that we are granting should require some sort of morality to be involved with them as well. For instance, a person working within a pharmacy should not have background with possession. I also understand that sometimes people make mistakes, but one must be realistic with an outlook.

Our Institution is "Industry Modeled". The Industry performs background checks and so do we. This was not always the case, and since reqiring clean backgrounds for enrollment everything has improved from the classroom to job placement.

Stephen - this is a good testimony to the benefits of conducting backgound checks.

I agree with this statement but there is also a fine line with what type of backgrounds are still accepted into the program. If you are going for Criminal Justice and you have a misdemeanor, the prospective student should be informed that this may withhold them from obtaining certain positions.

We need to make sure they would be a good candidate for employment after schooling and also to protect other employees and students.

I hear what you are saying, Monica. Sometimes it is not a "definite" block but there could be hiring managers that will not consider someone with a questionable background, especially if there are qualified candidates with clean background checks.

Exactly! Although it may be uncomfortable when results of a background check are poor, it is in everyone's best interest to address the matter in alignment with your policies.

I think Background Checks are important for our students. However, we have to maintain the professionalism in handling students by only discussing their situation with only the departments that need to be involved.

Sign In to comment