Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Accreditation

One question I am often asked from students is in regards to accreditation. Why don't all Universities accept the credits?

Brenda - this is frequently a hotly debated topic at conferences I have attended. I think some universities opt to have students complete all (or almost all) coursework at their particular institution under the concept of "quality control". Unfortunately this makes some students repeat duplicative coursework costing time and money.

It's a challenging task to ensure that if a school opts to grant credit for transfer work, that not only is the curriculum equivalent but that they awarding of a passing grade met similar standards. I understand both sides of the debate - it would be difficult to have a "blanket policy" for accepting transfer credit from any school or college. Protecting academic integrity is important but I don't like to see students "penalized" by having to repeat classes if the coursework is essentially the same and the quality existed at their former institution. I respect schools that take the time and make the effort to evaluate coursework for possible transfer credit rather than just saying "no".

Sign In to comment