Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Defining the level of our responsibility

It is a frequently a challenge to determine if a student is under the influence of a prescribed or self prescribed narcotic. I have known students that tend to always look under the influence but that is their "norm". If I use the first student as a benchmark, I may be making bad assumptions.
To be safe, I never accuse or confront a student; I will request that they remove themselves from a lab until I can determine it safe for them to return. It seems a little grey within our institution... do I request them to submit to a drug test, ask them to "drive" themselves to Wellspan or hold them hostage until I can summon Wellspan? Either way if the student tells me to pound sand then I feel I have no option. So what is the best choice, that protects the institution and myself from a lawsuit for harassment falsely accusing?

Great question! It's certainly a judgment call when such scenarios arise. I would defer an answer to your particular institution's authority for such matters. I have seen some schools opt to get a "second opinion" from a Program Manager/Director or other manager by having the student come to their office outside of the classoom. But again, I would defer to your school's authority as different shools and programs have specific factors to consider in these matters.

Thats a good question Rob, did you find out what we do when this happens.

I totally agree with the institution is the authority. Remember today, if you are drinking at a home or bar and are deemed Under the Influence(UTI)...you gave them the alcohol that makes you responsible. SO if you allow them to drive themself and they are UTI, and an accident occurs, you might be held responsible. It is not only within the walls of the classroom. Also remember the incidents with residents doing so many hours and while driving home, an accident occurs.

Sign In to comment