Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PLUS

It is interesting to me that parents don't have to undergo any counseling for the PLUS loan. Anyone know why this isn't a requirement?

I agree with you Missy, however, because of that facet I encourage parents to read their prom note to ensure they are informed.

This is a great question. I too wonder why it is that parents are not required to complete entrance counseling for PLUS loans. But also agree with Norma in encouraging the parent to read and review their promissory note.

I agree with Missy's Statement. I think it is best to, at a minimum, encourage Parents to read the MPN.

I too encourage that parents read the MPN and keep it for reference. I also provided them with printed materials from DOE/FedAid such as the ParentPLUS specific pamphlet. This way they have a quick reference in an attractive format as opposed the overwhelming small black print of the MPN.

I had the same question. Many of my students are first time graduates in their family. So their parents have never had the experience of applying for student aid. A lot of parents are just filling out the fafsa just bc the child told them that it had to be done so they could go to school. I want to set my students of for success. So how can we educate the parents more so the child doesn't run into problems if the parent doesn't fulfill their responsibilities?

Amanda - schools could opt to provide the same loan counseling to parents, it just isn't required by the Dept of Education. I agree with you - the more information to borrowers, the better.

Does anyone know the rate/percentage of parent plus loan defaults? I am interested in knowing what it is since parents are not required to complete any type of loan counseling.

Thanks!

Johnnisha ,
I have not found a reference that shows this information. Since these loans do have different qualifying criteria than student borrower loans, I suspect the repayment is better but I still agree with comments on the value of loan counseling.

Sign In to comment