Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Institutional accreditation

Institutional accreditation plays a significant role in determination of credit transferability as well as acceptance in state educational facilities, is there any move to pressure regional accredited facilities to recognize and accept nationally accredited programs?

In Texas there is a small group coordinated by the State Association that is working in conjunction with Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and multiple large University groups to try and find common ground on this issue. I know a few articulation agreements came out of those discussions for some of the schools involved and the efforts are intended to set a path for others to follow. It will be interesting to see if the tree bears much fruit from the efforts.

This has been a hotly debated topic for years. I'll be interested to see others' repsonses to this discussion thread.

There is no immediate rush on the part of regionally accredited schools to accept credits from nationally accredited schools for a simple economic reason. I have worked in both and there is very little difference in the education recieved, but the perception is important to maintain that you have sought out a higher value in that education.

For that very reason is why we need to establish articulation agreements at least for gen eds to be transferable in order for us to economically sound. When students hear through the grapevine that the credits do not transfer, it filters down to the certificate programs and we lose students that were not even going to be affected by that policy.

Sign In to comment