Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

NSLDS

In FA dept. we are not allowed to run NSLDS
on a tenative because that student is not enrolled
and we don't have the right to look into their loan history and its about time we changed that rule

I think looking at NSLDS was beneficial because then we knew upfront what we needed to prepare students for. If we enroll them and get them excited for school then comes time for financial aid and because they are enrolled now we can run NSLDS and then we have to call them and tell them it isn't going to work out because of a default they feel disappointed. I can understand where we arent allowed to view this information but I think being able to view it allows us to better prepare students for what they need to expect and not surprise them when they show up for group.

Many times students are aware of their financial situation/default. A student can be referred to NSLDS for students website in the tentative process so it won't be a surprise on packaging day. Once an enrollment agreement is signed, go ahead and check NSLDS before the student is scheduled for packaging. This avoids having the student show up for their appointment only to give them bad news when they feel everything is ok. If the default is caught early enough, the problem may work itself out with a phone call to the Dept of Ed.

NSLDS for students is a great website to refer to students that are not sure if they are in default

students may know that they are in default, but we also look at overlapping loan periods and if they are close or over their loan limits.

We aren't allowed to run nslds either until group packaging. I think we should be able to run it earlier too because a student should know ahead of time if they are going to be unable to use FA. In the last school I worked at we ran nslds as soon as we got their ISIR. The student didn't have to be enrolled.

I like the NSLDS website, it is very helpful for the FA department. I agree with some of you that we should be able to look up their information early on so that we do not waste time. The students get really upset when they cannot come to school as they planed. We could do it right after they sign their enrollment agreement, but our admissions does that in a different meeting. I feel that developing a process to check the NSLDS BEFORE the FA plan will benefit admissions, FA and most importantly the student.

I agree that looking at NSLDS before a student enrolls is ideal because the student may not know they are in default or they could be in overlapping loan periods. The students may not be as upset hearing about these issues before they showed up to the group packaging appointment. Perhaps meeting with the student right after they sign the enrollment agreement would be beneficial? Or possibly running NSLDS at least a day before the appointment.

Sign In to comment