Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Salary

When a student or Student Instructor asks what the pay scale is, would it be unethical to disclose that information completely? Or would it be alright to give the person an estimate?

A low and high range would be appropriate if they were actual numbers from past students.

In my opinion it would be better to direct the student to a resource that can determine that information more accurately. In some casses it may be the career services department, if they have placed a significant amount students in that field for which they can draw actual data from. In other cases job search websites may have information to give a student.

I'm not sure if ONET would be a good reference or not as well.

We have a Salary scale already prepared with approved amounts given for each individual program.

This is a topic i dont feel i can answer, i dont like to discuss salary,its best you ask when you apply

Salary will depend on the individuals efforts and advances. Hard work brings about better compensation. I feel that has to be made known.

Here in Texas we show them the TWC forms that state the average, high, and low range.

I thought the rule of thumb was not to ask for pay range when applying for a job. I could be wrong...

Give them what is stated on the school performancec fact sheet only.

Always refer to the performance fact sheet

I dont't agree. If I were a student, I would like to know the range of salaries for an entry level position for that course of study in the area.
At the same time, it may be beneficial to know if a student is enrolled solely on the premise of "money making" and not for the passion of any certain profession (i.e. caring for healthcare patients).

I do not understand the nature of this question. Does this pertain to a student that is interested enrolling in a program and wants the payscale of the occupations that the program trains for? or
Does this pertain to a scenario where a student or instructor are applying for employment. This needs to clarified.

This question often arises during my meetings with prospective student instructors. When it does, I refer them to our student instructor handbook which lists the US Department's published average incomes for vocational educators. As I read this or show them, I make sure they see that it is an average for vocational educators, not just cosmetology/esthetics instructors. I would not share a personal estimate or opinion as to pay scale.

Rick - thanks for sharing information specific to your state since TWC has specific forms and guidelines to follow.

refer to the performance fact sheet

In any institution, you always want to refer back to a facts wage sheet or performance sheet.

I agree with Rick. Being that we work in Texas and are familar with TWC regulations, that is the standard procedure for disclosing pay scales. I must agree with another forum member, that pay alone should never be a factor in pursuing a career.

This question does come up alot I show them the fact sheet that is provided.

I always refer students to the bls.gov website.

Everything must be able to be backed up by fact. If you can not find proven documentation, you shouldn't give out the info.

Sign In to comment