Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nancy,
Hopefully, some schools will respond with some of their current practices. I am not at a clock hour school at present. However, I have previously seen some schools schedule a "make up day" each week/month/term, etc. where they actually recorded the hours attended to make up absences. I have also seen some schools with various structures record time completed toward various coursework/competencies using a time clock that tracked such attendance without predefined "classes" until the students each individually achieve the required hours. Some of the approaches may be subject to other requirements by various regulatory bodies.

Traci Lee

We schedule a "make up day" for Holidays (usually the Monday classes that are missed) as well as for absences. Students have to complete a make-up assignment for their lecture classes and they have to make up their clinical hours for those days they missed. Their make-up time is recorded by a sign-in sheet that the instructor has to sign off. We keep the sign in sheets and also enter the data into a spreadsheet as well as our attendance system and we note the date/s the absence was made-up. I hope this can help you and your school's requirements.

Kathie, I could not have said it better myself. My campus conducts attendance in much of the same manner. There are times when students must appeal to get their increased absents reviewed, but being able to prove the reason such as doctor's note etc. will do the trick. We have had great success with this strategy.

Corrie Buck - I appreciate your perspective on this and share the same thoughts. It has helped keep my small school at a high pass rate for almost 6 years now BUT has also taken considerable time from my Education Director and teaching staff (who have other jobs and commitments). Even though I charge a high rate of $35 an hour for make up classes it does not seem to be enough of a financial determinant. Though sickness and family sickness has always been part of our history for absences. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Joe,
Great topic for discussion - I hope you get some responses with best practices.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment