Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am working at a school that was recently purchased by a new owner. As we are going back and correcting any problems it has been extremely helpful that all files are kept in the past 5 years. We have gone back to fix drops dating back as far as 2010, without this requirement of keeping the files we wouldn't be able to correct the problems or overlooked items that occurred before we took control of the company.

Spencer,

Document retention is definitely a worthy topic! Whether maintained electronically or physically, such documents are key.

Traci Lee

I agree. I believe there should be an electronic record also.

I wasn't aware that the graduate records have less data than their student counterpart records.

Why is this? Does it have to do with the fact that a graduate has already received an undergraduate degree and therefore does not have all that qualifying data in the graduate record?

Kathy,
I was curious about that remark, too. But I think she meant a student who has graduated vs. a student who is currently attending. I surmised that her school must have separate files rather than combining graduation records (transcript, diploma) with the "full" student record file. But your point would also hold true that Master level requirements may be less bulky as they would not be as likely to contain transfer credit documentation and other items relevant at the undergraduate level.

Traci Lee

It is my understanding that current stundets must be in a fire proof cabinet, and that studnets records after graduation must remain in a fire proof cabinet for at least 5 years. Which there after we store them in a locked location, but not fire proof cabinets.

I agree to be on the safe side I do keep all my academic files in a lock-firproof/folood safe area.

Hi Spencer

It is a very good idea to keep good and complete records for 5 years because of the example you give-corrections. Having a new owner is another very good reason to keep records. I know how electronic filing has lightened the load of record keeping and also gives greater access to information, but there is always a need to have the files themselves available. Computers are not fool proof, neither are they as secure as we would like to think. Being able to go back and verify or correct as you did can only be done if you have the original paperwork.

Sandra

We currently keep all of our student files.
From 2010 and so on are in a sentry safe (fire proof cabinet) and the rest are in plastic bins but every single file piece of paper in the files have been scanned and are saved to our server.
Yes scanning every single page can be time consuming but in the end all I have to do is type in their name and see if they are missing anything at a click of a button rather then going to the file cabinet looking for the persons file and opening up the file and looking for that exact paper.

Mehrdad,
I concur with the benefits of online document storage for efficiency and retrieval. I am glad to hear this works for you.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment