Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Home Schooling

When presented with a home school diploma, is it mandatory in the state of Florida to provide transcripts?

Regardless of the type of diploma all states should provide transcripts. Yes, the state of Florida should comply, too.

Yes, them have to provide the transcrips

Yes, in my Institution is a requirement to present a transcript in order to avoid false High School Diploma. Unfortunately, today with the use of internet could be easy to everyone to duplicate or copy a non real Diploma.

Hi I was interested to read the answers to this question as I am not familar with the home school process. Based on all the information given I now know to request transcripts for students who are home schooled. thanks

The requirement for home schooling is that a transcript prepared by the instructor (parent or other) has to list the classes taken(with dates), grades received and date graduated. It would be good if the parent who is doing the home schooling registers this with the school district they are in but they are not required to. I have worked with this policy in the Pinellas County School district but do not know if it relates to all Florida school districts.

Yes Transcripts should always be provided.

Since high school graduation (or a GED) is a requirement for admission, a home schooled applicant is not exempt and must supply proof of meeting the high school requirement.

In that situation if we were to be presented with a diploma that could had been created online what would the best course of action be to take?

As far Florida's requirements go:

Per Florida Statutes Home-Schooled Students are eligible to attend State colleges. In order to be accepted the college must accept the following as proof of education:

in the case of a student who is home educated, a signed affidavit submitted by the student’s parent or legal guardian attesting that the student has completed a home education program pursuant to the requirements of s. 1002.41.

1002.41 is lengthy, but here is a summary provided on the Florida Department of Education website:

As required by Section 1002.41, F.S., to establish a home education program and maintain compliance with the statute, a parent must:

a. Send a written notice of intent to the school district superintendent.

b. Maintain a portfolio of records, consisting of a log of educational activities, writings,
worksheets, and creative materials used or developed by the student

c. Make the portfolio available for inspection by the superintendent upon a 15-day
notice. (The legislation does not require the superintendent to inspect all portfolios.)

d. Provide an annual educational evaluation for the student’s educational process to the
school district superintendent.

e. Preserve each student’s portfolio for two years.

f. Submit a letter of termination upon completion of the home education program or change of residence.

Finally, If a home-schooled student wants to receive Title IV funds, the Federal Student Aid Handbook says this about required documentation for the student:

Though home-schooled students are not considered to have a high school diploma or equivalent, they are eligible to receive FSA funds if their secondary school education was in a homeschool that state law treats as a home or private school. Some states issue a secondary school completion credential to homeschoolers. If this is the case in the state where the student was home-schooled, she must obtain this credential in order to be eligible for FSA funds. She can include in her homeschooling self-certification that she received this state credential.

So, for clarity sake, Florida does not issue credentials for students that successfully complete home-school.

Donn,
Thanks for providing these details! I think it's important for people to always reference the latest website and other references to ensure compliance with the most current guidelines since they are always subject to change.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment