Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In my opinion, I believe that an internal audit should be conducted twice a year. We are a small institution (200 students). We have 5 starts a year and our files are reviewed very often.

You bring up a good point, Elyse. The frequency of starts and usual cycle time of the student lifecycle can impact decisions with regard to how often audits/reviews may be necessary.

I believe an internal audit should be completed once a year.

I believe an internal audit should be conducted when a school pass rate drops below 70% or if the drop rate drops below 90%.

Matthew - the concept to have such triggers prompt internal audits and limit audit scope makes sense. Do you see any risk of this reactionary approach making rectification more difficult than if problems/trends are identified earlier? Also, are there other indicators for other departments that you think should be monitored?

I believe that an internal audit should be conducted once a year for all departments. I work in the registrar's office and we have specific guidelines for student file compliance. The student file checklist is signed by the Admissions Representative, the registrar, and the Director of Admissions to ensure file compliance.

I have been in admissions for over 7 years now and we have always done our internal audits 2 times a year. This gives us time to make any corrections without the burden of "excessive" auditing. It is still often enought to impact current and future students.

I think, the frequency of department audits depends on the level of risk associated with the department. A high risk department could be audited each year where a department with a lesser associated risk may be part of a several year rotation. For instances, admission, academic records and financial ID must be audited at least one a year.

Internal audits are an ongoing process. We always have to continually ensure we are doing things the right way so when the "actual audit" occurs it is just another set of eyes looking over what we have already checked.

William,
I think it is great when schools consider this as an ongoing process!

In my professional opinion,an internal audit should be conduct one every year. I believe this is necessary to focus on areas where there have been repeat findings as well as strengthening company operations and management control systems.

I agree with the suggestion of auditing one key department per quarter. I would do it on a rotational basis to keep ahaead of any problems that can go unchecked.

I agree that it should not be held as an inquisition as there may be areas of responsibility that an employee knows needs to be taken care of but has not had the time to complete all that is required to do. He/she may be the only person in that department for some reason and again, has not had time to complete all tasks.

Our institution audits one department per quarter but involves the entire staff in the audit in some capacity. This helps each department understand the roles and responsibilities of the other departments.

Corrie,

That's a great suggestion as a means for employees to learn about other key areas!

Traci Lee

How often an internal audit is done should be determined by size of the school and how many programs are offered. Also, checks and balances should be done weekly and monthly to maintain proper compliance.

I agree and disagree with of the postings. I agree that there should be at least two full audits per compliance area annually. However, every institution's processes should include ongoing audit and follow up check points. It works very well to set aside 2 to 4 hours (on a Friday) to spot audit or audit specific auditable items. For example part of my institution's every Wednesday process is a file audit for proof of graduation on all new enrolled students. By following up weekly the actual number of files that get reviewed are minimal the results have been very positive. This particular items takes between 15 and 25 minutes once per week. Do other institutions include ongoing audits in their daily or weekly agendas?

Hilary,
I have often seen schools utilize a "quality control" process for daily, weekly, monthly or other cycle (per term or start date) checklists to ensure ongoing compliance. I am curious to see if there are some responses to your post as there may be some good practices out there for others to utilize.

Traci Lee

I think an internal audit should be conducted every 6 months. That way things are not falling through cracks and constantly being worked on. Things and requirements change so often that if not reviewed at least twice a year, things will be missed and harder to catch up.

Ashley,

Frequency is great if that is an option the school can support.

Traci Lee

Sign In to comment