Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can Spam Education

Getting all of our departments to understand the importance of aherence to CAN SPAM laws has been a struggle. Even after repeated warnings, employees continue to send mass email without approval or process. Is there not an IT solution to prohibit?

While I am not aware of what other departments are doing, there are emails I generally use for the admissons process. The "Unreachable Leads Email" I find to be too bulky. I get better responses from very short and to the point emails. One example:
Greg,
Just thought I would touch base to see if this an option you are still considering? I hope this finds you doing well.

I wish you much success in your pursuits!

My Very Best,

I appreciate any feedback.

Sean - I personally like shorter messages,particularly in this day and age where our target market is heavy into texting and quick messages. But, I defer to your compliance/marketing/communicaton departments for whatever guidelines may exist for messages to students and prospects.

Mike I have seen some schools use a technical method to control mass emails. I cannot speak for your institution specifically but, agree that is a more foolproof approach than having a policy without such a control mechanism. I think if individuals understand the serious consequences and penalties, that can also help but a combination of educating staff on the matter in addition to having a technology block is the best approach.

I appreciate your response. I agree with the approach, the challenge is truely helping everyone to realize the impact of Can Spam and the assocaited penalties. We employ certain controls to limit the number of email any one person may send within a given period of time(mass mailings), but, like anything else, people some how find work-arounds. In the end, I think you are correct in your suggestion to educate all usesrs. Thanks for your response.

Its tedious but I send my emails to 5 people at a time. Then copy and paste the email and send to another 5.

I agree that the work is tedious...however I think that its beneficial in the long run.

Sign In to comment