Translating Institutional Offerings into Student Value | Origin: AC103
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Building Deep Product Knowledge for Admissions Success --> Translating Institutional Offerings into Student Value
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
One thing I took away from this topic is the importance of understanding what the student actually needs before explaining everything an institution has to offer. A program feature may sound great, but it only has value if it connects to something that matters to that particular student.
I plan to apply this by asking better questions and listening more closely before providing information. If I understand the student’s goals, concerns, schedule, and other priorities, I can focus the conversation on what is most relevant to them. I also think it is important to be clear about limitations and expectations so students have the information they need to make a decision that works for them.
I loved finding a few "nuggets" in this chapter. Admissions professionals must balance enthusiasm with accuracy and should regularly pause and reflect on whether their explanations are grounded in verifiable information and aligned with what the student has shared. This reflection supports consistency and credibility.