Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing a High-Quality Internationalized CTE Program

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Developing a High-Quality Internationalized CTE Program

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Because my economics courses also must teach the principles, lessons on globalization are typically introduced with case studies involving negotiations within teams and among other teams of students.  They are presented with hypotheticals, many of which do involve international issues, and this allows them to apply lessons in a new perspective.  Many times students are given a situation in economics that is a domestic event but they are given the opportunity to see a similar occurrence in other countries.  One example could be to compare Japan’s banking crisis from the 1980s and 1990s to the US savings and loan crisis and the Great Recession.

I learned that my program (EET) is in the initial stages of its internalization effors.

This module provides information and a foundation to assess global content when internationalizing courses. The Internationalizing CTE Programs Self-Rection Toolkit is a useful tool to gauge the progress in developing globalized content in courses. 

While my college has at different times pondered the Internationalization of the Curriculum, not much has been done to institute internationalization as a practice.  At minimal, a few faculty members link their courses, say sociology and African Literature, in order to facilitate cross-cultural learning in the classroom.  The major instituted initiative is the International Education week of food, cultural performances and lectures.

while the module offers a lot of general information, it did make me think a little more about seeking opportunities to place students in internships and jobs with International companies that serve the Interior Design industry.  a lot of these companies hava a professional presence in and around Chicago and I'd love to see more of our students involved in the international side of this.  

A high quality program should have wrap around features that scaffold the learning and guide students throughout the program.  This is where many institutions miss the opportunity to build first rate programs by not offering the adhoc services.   

It struck me after completing the module that this isn't going to be a solo effort -- I won't just be looking for ways to internationalize my own technical writing courses. If it's to be fully implemented, I will need to get at least a few faculty in some of our CTE programs on board, so we can begin pressing the college to support some of these larger changes (such as building those relationships with local and international institutions).

The employability skills framework is a useful organizing model.

Fortunately my institution has a well articulated approach to internationalization.  I look forward to benchmarking its approach to this course.

This module helped me identify key programs that exist to support global competence and internationalization. I was impressed by the Global Workforce Skills Certificate offered at Ivy Tech. In my local market, many of our CTE program graduates would benefit from this additional training and certification. Additionally, I appreciated the push to work on my own global perspective through additional training and teaching opportunities that exist. I didn't know so many programs existed for CTE community college teachers.

I plan on using the Longview Foundation assessment tool to identify more areas where I can internationalize my program with clear goals and measured results. I was recently appointed to my institution's "Quality Enhancement Plan" committee; I plan to bring these ideas to my colleagues to consider on a school-wide level.

Understanding the various cultures/ beliefs I found key especially as it relates to fostering team activities and team projects in courses. It further embedds the application of "accepting" different people and working with them as well as the mangement skill of influencing. 

In my Marketing Courses, we have a section on Global Marketing. As such we review cultural differences as well as economic, political/ regulatory, social and legal differences. As an exercise, I have students research a US ad and an International  Advertisement for the same product by which they compare/ contrast each and share with the class. I think this exercise can be expanded upon to review the different perspectives  the market would have a for each brand, its use, etc. in each country. Further, student can be asked review the culture of that country and reflect upon what would be key employablility skills needed to in today's Global Economy. 

I've tried a number of exercises to connect my students to sharing their

diverse backgrounds and exploring heritage.  It's an uphill battle, especially

during covid.  I feel a loss of connection in online platforms like zoom.  Name

shows up and the student does not respond or engage in conversation.

Comment on Michael Ripoll's post: Yes, Michael it is a well designed package that can help one get started in the internationalization journey

To develop a high-quality internationalized CTE program in my courses, I will begin by conducting a comprehensive review of the existing curriculum to identify areas where global perspectives can be integrated. I will then collaborate with industry partners and educators from diverse backgrounds to ensure that the program aligns with international standards and best practices. Additionally, I will incorporate experiential learning opportunities such as internships, study abroad programs, and cross-cultural projects to provide students with practical skills and global perspectives. Moreover, I will prioritize professional development for faculty to enhance their intercultural competency and instructional strategies. By actively internationalizing the CTE program, I aim to prepare students for success in a globalized workforce and foster a culture of lifelong learning and global citizenship.

Sign In to comment