Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Industry-Validated Technical Standards | Origin: HQ101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

CTE High-quality Framework: Standards-aligned and Integrated Curriculum --> Industry-Validated Technical Standards

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

CTE High-quality Framework: Standards-aligned and Integrated Curriculum --> Industry-Validated Technical Standards

1. We must start with what we want our students to know or do at the end of this course and then at the end of this program.
  2. CTE is technical, employability, and academic skills. In the past, I've focused on our state's Programs of Study through a NOCTI continuous improvement plan without questioning what's being taught. Here is a link to my article Perkins_V_and_Continuous_Improvement.pdf (nocti.org)
  3. We must remember the importance of academic and employability skills in our program areas. Our portfolio requirement will help us improve in these areas. 
  4. My board recently asked me to look at integrating our baking and culinary programs.  They were two separate and distinct programs.  I will use California's, Iowa's, and Maine's standards as a guide.  The Prostart, American Culinary Foundation, and SERV Safe standards will be a big help to me.  

It is critical to get feedback and support to make sure the program is meeting student, employer, and community college alignment. 

I think it's important to recognize that new teachers may rely on their own industry experience to guide their curriculum development in the first few years as a new teacher survival mechanism. That will work for the short term, but then teachers need to align their course outcomes to standards and seek feedback from industry representatives in order to ensure that the curriculum is relevant. 

Critical to consider the different avenues available for students, from pre-apprentice to general labor to private firms that are more concerned with professional ability than certification (which, in turn, means certification-based curriculum really has to stress the real world application over the academic). 

Sign In to comment