Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Suicide Literacy | Origin: EC120

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teacher's Guide to Suicdie Prevention --> Suicide Literacy

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I didn't realize that a firearm was the most used method of suicide among teens. I also iike the non-porfit SAVE. I think the more knowledge we have the more available we will become. 

This data is very useful , firearms, rual vs city. borderline and suicide, useful information and insightful.

I learned about organizations and people involved in suicide prevention and awareness that I didn't know existed.  I was also shocked to learn about the facts and myths surrounding the topic.  I was also unaware of the demographic differences in suicide attempts versus completions.  I had so many of these facts entirely wrong.  As a teacher, I will be able to much more vigilant with this information.  I will be able to identify potential indicators and perhaps offer a word or two in private with a potentially affected student.

It is important to be aware of the warning signs of suicide, especially with females.

Many of the attempts to commit suicide are such to help with pain relief, not because they want thier life to end.

We need each other when we suspect that a stuend is at risk we need to find a community we can talk to. 

I would not be able to continue if I thinght I could have stoped s student from suicide 

Suicide is a growing problem amongst teens, it is important that we remain alert to the signs/symptoms of suicidal ideation which often result in suicide.

Many of these facts were known to me, but some were surprising. Knowing the risk factors and how to surround students with as many support systems as possible will be my goal for helping students who are at risk for suicidal behavior.

Sign In to comment