Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Progress Policies

How often must a school evaluate student progress, and what are the minimum requirements for graduation?

Hi Frank,

A school should evaluate the student progress at the end of each period and no longer than eight weeks. The student should meet all graduation requirments by completing all course work and earned a 2.0 Cumulative grade point average.

Remember Dennis that a school needs to publish their progress policy in the catalog and then be sure to follow that policy. It is good to have documentation in the student file that shows they have evaluated the student at the appropriate times.

For programs that are longer than 200 clock hours must evaluate at the end of each grading period. Grading periods should not be longer that 8 weeks.

It depends on the amount of clock hours that are required for that particular program.
if the required hours are 40 or less an evaluaton is done at the end of the course. graduation is based on the score of their final examination.
if the required hours are between 41-200 there is a review at the middle and end of each progress period
for programs that have hours that exceed 200 there should be a progress review at the end of each grading period (no more than 8 weeks each)

The school should be monitoring student progress on an ongoing and consistant basis. Waiting until the end may be too late to help/save a student. At a minimum the school catalog should reflect and the school should adhere to the following for PROGRAMS:

1. Programs < 40 hours are evaluated at the end of the course through a final exam.

2. Programs of 41 to 200 hours are evaluated both in the middle and at the end of the program. If they fail the mid-term they are placed on probation. Students who fail to achieve satisfactory progress by the end of their probationary period are to be terminated.

3. Programs > 200 hours are evaluated at the end of each grading period. A grading period cannot exceed 8 weeks.

4. Degree granting schools must evaluate progress every semester, quarter, or at a minimum every 8 weeks.

Seminars have their own progress requirements.

It depends on the length of the program and type of program. Approxamtly it the check point would be every two courses. Once the state approves the policies, then the school sticks to that process.

As long as progress is evaluated at least every 8 weeks, there is no restriction on the length of a term, correct? (could be 8, 10, 12, or 16 weeks?)

That is correct. Progress must be evaluated at least every 8 weeks but there is no requirement as to the length of the term.

Progress is to be evaluated at the end of each period, no longer than 8 weeks. The student must have a 2.0 GPA or higher or they will be placed on probation and if it does not improve by the next cycle then the student must be dropped.

For the school I am running, the criteria is that we must evaluate student progress at the end of each grading period. For a student to graduate, they need to have met all graduation requirments by completing all course work and earned at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.

I think the students she be evaluated every coupe of weeks so you can monitor to see how much they retain or understand instead of waiting to the end. You can help the along the way.

I agree and this should be done by the instructor in the form of an exam, either oral or written. My DOE and I are going to conduct random audits to check to see if students are being evaluated after each week to see if the students are retaining the materials. Not only will this impact the students ability to retain the materials, I think that it will impact retention and eventually graduation rates. Sometimes the students feel like they are falling behind in a class so they drop out.

Evaluation for Degree granting should include mid point and final on a per term basis.

I believe the instructor should constantly evaluation student progress. It is very important the students are retaining the information in which they are paying for.

Evaluating progress depends on the length of program clock hours.

Programs of 40 clock hours or less; satisfactory completion is evaluated at the end of the term

Programs of 41-200 clock hours; satisfactory completion is evaluated at the middle and end of each evaluation period

Programs of 200 or more; progress is evaluated at the end of each grading period. Grading periods may be no longer that eight weeks.

For a student to graduate the following requirements must be satisfied
A minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
A passing grade on all required subjects

At least every 8 weeks. We do mid point and Final grades each term. As for min requirements they need to have 2.0> and not have missed more than 20% of the program from an attendance standpoint

At midterm and at the end of the term. They are required to successfully complete all of their programs courses (and externship hours if necessary) within the maximum program length with a CGPA of 2.0.

Progress needs to be evaluated every grading period but at least every 8 weeks. A student must have a 2.0 ("C") average AND a passing grade in all required subjects to graduate.

Since our courses end after ten weeks, we must evaluate the students twice in that time period because the rule is every 8 weeks at a minimum. We do the evaluation at mid-course and at the end. I assume we are not violating state rules by saying that the minimum requirements for graduation are a cum 2.0 GPA and 80% cum attendance?

Sign In to comment