Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A student must be terminated when they have missed more than ten consecutive days of class, over 20% of their total program, or over 20% of their scheduled hours during a probationary term. A student who does not return under the terms of their LOA must also be terminated.

An approved plan of make-up hours would allow a student to make up 5% of their total program clock hours. This must be done before exceeding the 20% program absence mark.

The rule for degree granting schools state that a student must be terminated if s/he is absent 10 consecutive days, over 20% of the total program hours, or over 20% of the scheduled course hours in a probationary term.
The rule for all other schools states that a student must be terminated if s/he is absent 10 consecutive days, over 25% of a course of 200 clock hours or less, or over 20% of a course in excess 200 clock hours.
Do the percentage of clock hours cited for non-degree granting schools refer to the entire program or are they per term?
Is there a per term attendance requirement during a probationary period for non-degree granting (diploma/certificate) schools as there is for degree granting schools?

The 20% is based upon the total program hours. If a student misses more than 20% then they must be terminated. If they miss more than 10 consecutive days they must be terminated. There is not a requirement for a probationary term.

The student is absent more than 10 consecutive days.
The student does not return from an apporved LOA.
The student is absent more than 20% of the course.

A school must terminate a student for attendance when: 1. the student does not return from an approved LOA 2. when the student has missed more than 10 days and 3. when the student has been absent for more than 20% of their course hours.

I have a question - the attendance requirement says "more than 10 days" so, if a student returned on the 11th day, would I have to terminate that student?

Hi Mr. Hammack,
Yes a student can make up time for an absence, as long as it is not more than 5% of the total clock hours of his program and the hours have to be made up before missing 20% of program clock hours.
Thanks
Vicki Gidney

Remember that the make up policy must be approved by Career Schools and Colleges before you can implement it. It is not automatic.

Frank

As long as they return on time, i.e. if they are scheduled for an 8:00am class and they are there on time, then you do not have to terminate them. Be sure to document that they returned on time on the 11th day and did not miss more than 10 days.

Frank

In addition to the three criteria Ms. Gidney has mentioned, there is one more that I have a question on. I cannot tell what the requirement refers to. How should 807.243(a)(2) be read:
(a) A school shall terminate...
(2) more than 20% of the total coure time hours in a program with course time of more than 200 hours;
(3) more than 25% of the total course time hours in a program or indiviual class with course time of 41 to 200 hours

Does this refer back to the overall length of the program, meaning that #2 refers to those programs over 200 hours while #3 refers to those programs between 41 and 200 hours?
If a program is over 200 hours, should it follow the requirement outlined for total program hours in #2, but is not obligated to follow the requirement as mentioned per individual course mentioned in #3?

Ms. Gidney,
Pleased to see you on the discussion board. Would like to chat with you offline. You can reach me at susan.winton@vatterott-college.edu.

Susan Winton

If the total course time hours for a program is over 200 hours then a student must be terminated if they miss more than 20% of the total course time hours. A school may have a strictier policy, i.e. 15% but cannot have on that is greater, i.e. 24%. A school can have a make-up policy but it must be approved by Career Schools before you implement it. The 5% must be made up before they exceed the 20%.

I agree-that's the difficult part about the attendance policy: enforcing it when in regards to students who have overcome great odds to achieve their current standing. For better or worse, however, the policy stands and must be enforced unilaterally lest the college give off a perception of favoring some students over others.

The rules are set to give the student the opportunity to miss some because that will happen. A student must learn to manage their attendance.

What about parts of the training that require 100% attendance? We have a couple of classes that require 40hrs of participation. They can’t even miss ten minutes of these classes.

A school can have a strictier policy then the TWC rules but they should be published in the catalog so the student will understand the rules. These should also be listed in the syllabus.

Frank

If a student accumulates the lesser fo the following amounts of absences -- mor thean 10 consecutive days or more than 20% of the course they have to be terminated they are able to make us class timebut it can be no more than 5% of the total clock hours of the program. also they must make up the hours before they violates the attendance requirements.

students that misses school for 10 days or misses more than 20% of the program should be terminated from school or start the program all over

The student should receive credit for those courses that they have successfully completed. They may start at the being of the next progress evaluation period.

Frank H.

Students must be withdrawn if they miss 10 consecutive days, more than 20% of the course, or does not return from LOA. Yes, a student can make up time from being absent up to 5% of the coursework but a request needs to be made before the student is in attendance violation. These requirements should be clearly stated in the school catalog and in the course syllabus.

Is there ever a scenario for an exception to the rule?

A student may make up to no more than %5 and may do so before violation of the attendance policy.

They must be terminated if they miss 10 consecutive days or miss 20% of their program. They can make up time but not after they have exceeded the previous requirements.

Sign In to comment