Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Degrees form instructors

Does life experience, or certification, from an acredidated source carry any weight above an associates degree.

TWC instructor qualifications are based upon the level of education they have (HS or GED is minimum) and the number of years experience. You must be able to provide documentation to prove the level of education. You must be able to show a transcript or diploma. Copies are acceptable.

Frank Hammack

Wouldn't this apply to occupations where there is no formal training just on the job experience?

Valentin,
While there are occupations that may not have corresponding formal training programs, virtually all career programs taught at Career Colleges do not fit into that category. A primary reason for this is that colleges and schools must justify offering the program by documenting the demand for trained graduates in that field. I know of no formula or preference given by the TWC to either, education or experience in their evaluation of in instructor's application.

JP Mehlmann

I believe in certain trades for example, culinary, life experience could account more than a degree. In the early eighties, culinary degrees were few and far between and apprenticeships were the norm. I have worked with degreed chefs and apprenticed chefs throughout my life and have found that there was a huge discrepancy in the competencies between the two, and in most if not all instances, the hands on approach of an apprenticeship far outperformed those with culinary degrees. Conversely, in today's world degreed chefs are more mainstream and the culinary programs are much more robust, therefore there is little difference between the two.

Ronald,
Your points are excellent. As long as the instructor candidate meets the specific TWC CSC instructor qualifications, approval should not be a problem. Otherwise, a variance would be needed to make the case for instructor approval.

JP Mehlmann

In certain technology-based fields such as web design, there really were not any college degree programs until reccent years. It is quite common to see very exeperienced web designers with degrees in totally unrelated fields. Going along with what you are saying, a person with years of experience in web design who holds an unrelated degree would likely bring much more to the table than a person fresh out of college with a related deree.

Jennifer,
I agree. It is important to document such experience as thoroughly as you can if submitting such a person for approval under the variance option.

JP Mehlmann

Sign In to comment