Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Facebook

Since the Fortis "Columbus" Reps dont have computer's. I've found it helpful to facebook my prospective students....with the changing times it's the "in" thing do & you wouldnt believe the response's rather than leaving mesg after mesg.!!! I spend a least one hr every morning before work online contacting and setting up apts :) Great tool...plus it makes them feel more connected to that rep...with pics & all.

Facebook can back fire on a rep if you do not watch what you are doing and who is on there. I use facebook and I have never had any issues, but I have heard of some from other reps at other schools.

Never use facebook with prospective students

I am "old" school on this topic. I've seen my children, as I also have, used this social network more towards a complaining (negative)site. I want my students to have the most positive information from me during my one-on-one interviews.

I haven't though about using facebook as a potential outlet for students but I think it could be a good or a bad thing. I can understand how it could backfire but I could also see how it could help if you cannot get a hold of a specific student.

Candice:

I would encourage you to discuss the use of Facebook in the recruiting process with the Director of Admissions at your school. While there are no specific state policies regarding the use of Facebook, schools may have their own internal polices. In addition, the general state rules that apply to all admissions activity would apply to Facebook conversations.

It is also important to recognize that while communication via telephone would normally be a private conversation, this is not necessarily true with Facebook conversations so there may be privacy implications you need to understand with respect to what can or cannot be discussed via Facebook.

I agree that Facebook is an "in" way to communicate with people these days. I just don't know that I would use my personal Facebook page for that purpose. That being said, I know many reps who "text" their students as a way of communicating...I have as well!

I believe that it is best to not cross that line between your work life and personal. That being said, I never text a student or give my personal cell phone information out or even accept friend requests from students. Although Facebook is probably the most popular social networking site, you cannot control what others posts and/or maintain privacy. I agree that it may be convenient, but I think it is too risky.

I agree Theresa, and most schools have a fraternizaton policy that doesn't allow reps and students to have relationships outside of work. It may be "in" but it can get pretty sticky.

I agree to not use facebook for anything more than to scheudle an interview. After enrollment following up with students through FB is ok also sometimes.

I think email is more appropriate for an institution to communicate with potential or established students. There are a lot of issues that come up with facebook in the workplace so I feel that the bar should be set high when coming into an academic setting. Sometimes students are far too relaxed concerning facebook comments that can cost them their job later.

I totally agree! This is just not the place to establish a repore with a student when it comes to academics.

Our school is giving consideration to Facebook. I'm interested in hearing/reading about both the positive and the negative. Please post some examples...thanks in advance.

I agree. FB is very very informal. Putting myself in the students shoes I think that getting a message on FB from a school that I requested information about their programs would completely turn me off of the school. Becoming their friend on FB seems way to personal.

Our Admissions Representatives do not use Facebook to contact students.

I would not use facebook as a source to communicate with my students. It's not professional and it could involve to topics that could not be monitored through the school.

If you are planning on using facebook as a tool to contact your stidents I would say that is mandatory that you create a business profile, instead of your own personal profile. It is imperative for us to remain professional.

I agree with this my face book is personal and I would prefer to keep it that way. The school I am at agrees with that. We do not use at all.

I think if the school itself maintains a general business Facebook and doesn't rely on individuals and private accounts it can be a good thing. I wouldn't want to have my personal account available for things that are strictly business. I think Facebook should be used to promote school events and draw public interest. It shouldn't be a go between for recruitment.

I don't think that Facebook should be something that is used as a tool. If a student wants to post good things about your school there great, but it is not the place for a proffessional relationalship which I think is something you need to maintain with your students.

Sign In to comment