Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At our school, we are not to give students our personal cell phone numbers, nor would I give a student access to my personal information via Facebook. If the school has a Facebook page it may be more appropriate for any communication with a student, via this medium, be done in some sort of controlled manner in which personal information is not divulged.

Since I began working in admissions I have often thought about the possibility of using FB as a tool for communication to prospective students. My school currently does not have a FB page and I would not take it upon myself to do something on my own. I do have mixed feelings about communicating using this type of medium. I would have to assume that it would be tough to maintain that fine line between personal and professional aspects on FB. I look forward to reading about the experiences others have had and the pro’s and con’s associated with the use of FB.

At our school we are not allowed to contact students in this manner. While this method has obvious benefits, it is very difficult to regulate the interaction, which in my guess is why it is prohibited.

I can see how it may help get the prospective student's attention, but we have rules that don't permit outside relationships with the client. You never know who you are talking to. Also, people are always talking about viruses and hackers using facebook. There are definitely more cons than pros from where I stand.

I have known representatives use texting as a way to contact and after thinking about it, what if while you were texting the person was in a horrible car accident while they answered your text. Would there be enough evidence to have the school in a liability.... I am not a lawyer but i think I could win the case for my client.

I would agree that using social media would be an effective tool. I believe that you must try everything until you find what works best for that student

Sign In to comment