Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Out-of-state schools that recruit in Ohio

I think that this would be extremly difficult to regulate. So does this mean that all of the agents at "the nations largest private school" have Ohio agent permits. (everyone knows who I am talking about.) Does that also mean that their agents also have permits from other states as well? This just seems really hard to track.

Phillip and others on this subject.
I have another question to add to this one,but first to Phillip's comment.
How for agents traveling to other states. Must have permits from other states and how often would this need to done.It seems like all states needs to come to ageement together to make it easier for agents to recruit or would this be to easy and have to make agents jump through hoops?
This shows to us as agents (the red tape) our state and federal goverments put people through.
In a nut shell if we all were on the same page other recruitors would not have to get a permit to come into Ohio to recruit.
The real point is no matter what state you go intoa recruiter take a ntion wide test and be done!!

Our school is located in Western Pennsylvania, approximately 1 mile from the Ohio state line. Our student population comes from both states. I hold an Ohio Permit and a Pennsylvania License.

Phillip:

Many agents have permits from multiple states. However, many states do not individually license agents but the state may require that the out-of-state school and its programs be approved prior to soliciting in the state.

Many online schools that recruit nationwide assign agents to certain states and leads from students in those states are routed through the agents who are approved to solicit in those states. It can be very complicated, especially for distance education providers that may be soliciting students all over the country.

Robert:

As a result of the significant increase in the number of programs offered online and the increase in large multi-state school operations, the number of schools that recruit/operate across state lines has increased dramatically in the last 10 years. This has created a number of regulatory issues at both the state and national level, including issues related to recruiting and admissions. Most state laws that address recruiting were written before the proliferation of online programs and as a result there is quite a bit of overlap and duplication with respect to the need for multiple approvals.

There have been some ongoing discussions at the national level about recognizing other state licenses/approval processes through some type of reciprocity mechanism, however, these discussions have yet to result in any formal legislative proposals.

I agree with the individual who suggested a "nation-wide" test. However, I would add the caveat that if a state is particular, a state addendum might then be added to the nation-wide test. Regulating specific policies in any arena is a challenge.

I recruit in five different states, including Ohio. I hold valid agent's licenses in all of them, as does my direct supervisor.

I do have a question though. If I should become ill and require hospitalization, and if my direct supervisor is not available to fill in for me at presentations, are we permitted to bring in an agent from another state to temporarily take my place at presentations?

We have no way to cancel a previously advertised seminar presentation, and by not having a school representative there, it seems to me that we would be doing a big disservice to the public. Some people drive a considerable distance to come to a presentation.

Susan:

There is no general exception for the circumstances you described, however, if that situation where to occur I would encourage you to call our office and explain the problem and we could likely reach an agreed upon solution.

To Robert and others on this subject: For agents traveling to other states, I can definitely see the importance of agent permit per state, as states are supposed to have sovereign rights to regulate and establish law independent of other states or the feds. On the other hand, I do think that there are already too many laws and regulations on the books, at the state and federal levels, hence the hoops.

It would be easier to have a nationwide test and be done with it. I think we would come up with some sort of nationwide agreement without sacrificing individual or unique concerns from state to state. Private companies that operate multi-state do it, so why not?

Yes, I agree with you Cheryl, it would be easier and more effecient to have a nationwide test!

Sign In to comment