Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

high school diploma

My institution requires high school graduation..ie diploma as a requisite for admission.
We are encounting hard time with all kinds of diploma mills we have been receiving. Most of the students doesnt have any idea that they are paying for a diploma mills until they present it to an institution. Sometines is very hard to validate them, there is no list or database for private high school validation/accreditations as for a college or universities.

The Florida Department of Education does not accredit, regulate, approve, or license K-12 private schools. Additionally, the Florida Department of Education does not officially recognize any of the various agencies that accredit private school.

How we go accepting Private High school diploma?

I have noticed that students that attend public high school in Florida are required to pass the FCAT. However, students that attend a private institution are not required to pass the FCAT to pass High School. I have seen very capable students not pass the FCAT because they have a language barrier and then they fall prey to Diploma Mills.

Elvira,

You have to do your research on the high schools diploma. CIE requires that you validate any admission documents.

Patty Aronoff

Francia,
You must do your research to make sure that it is not a talk, mail. The Florida Department of Education does have the school choice website where institutions can register. However they are not regulated.

Patty Aronoff

margie,
The public schools in Florida have different regulations then the nonpublic schools. The nonpublic schools are not regulated by the Florida Department of Education K-12 division

Patty Aronoff

I agree that you have to do your research on High School Diplomas, because a lot of students have Geds that are not accredited and High School diplomas that are certificate of completion which we do not accept, so therefore it is very important to be up to date on what is accepted.

Fortunately, we have a dedicated group of souls who are constantly researching these "diploma mills" and keeping us updated on what is not acceptable. Unfortunately, they can't catch everything, so I still see it as my responsibility to follow through on research for unfamiliar diplomas. It's not always these diploma mills, either. As I understand it, sometimes private schools or home schools can fall into that same pot. Have you noticed that before?

Shawn,
Yes I can! They're popping up all over and with the advance of the Internet it is very easy to see more and more of these diploma mills. They look very legitimate and require vast amount of research.

Patty Aronoff

Great information!! I wasn't aware of diploma mills!!

Gabriela,

Diploma mills are what gives our sector a bad name. They rip off students for an illegitimate degree.

Patty Aronoff

Sign In to comment