Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

After just one semester of starting a new online program, I will definitely agree that training is one of the most important aspects of online programs. Although faculty could be experts in their field, if they do not know how to use the LMS, teaching will be very unproductive. The more faculty knows how to use the LMS, I've found, the more involvement they put in the course, and the more involvement in the course, the more students will be "very satisfied" with the course.

Currently, I am trying to find out what the most effective method of training is for our faculty staff, and students. Online training, in-person, as a group, etc.

I'm pleased to see so many are recognizing the need for specific training for online instructors (and students). Anything that will reduce frustration will help everyone get through the inevitable connection problems. Somehow knowing "why" something is happening reduces anxiety and anger.

The training needs at my facility for online course delivery:

1.) The use of an LMS program
2.) Orientation and training for the software itself
3.) Our corporate education department would be responsible for implementing the software and the training.

I think hiring an individual up front that is receptive to change. I have worked with numerous schools and this implementation process has been the responsibility of anyone from the Director of Education to the Online Instructor Trainer.

time management and follow-through are what I see as the important issues that need additional training. A good "brick-and-morter" teacher does not necessarily equal a great online one, just like students.

the time invested in the right areas are the big things, again. I recommend getting this done prior to starting a program, as it is much harder I would imagine after the program has started.

The training needs at my institution are definitely of the faculty who will be teaching online courses as well as on-ground classes yet using the CMS in the classroom.

The needs were defined by looking at possible growth of:
1.) What classes will be offered online
2.) Will we offer any full programs online
3.) What faculty will teach what portion/classes online
4.) The responsibility of the implementation of this training is done by our corporate education department and also the Faculty Coordinator (me) for training new faculty as they are hired and continuous faculty as updates, upgrades and changes are made to the system/software

Training at every in service. In service occurs after the end of each school term.

If retention of staff is important as a strong return on investment, then special care should be taken to introduce and train faculty for online delivery of courses and programs so that they are comfortable with the tools that they need to successfully do their job--job satisfaction. Once they are properly initiated and trained, success in helping students is followed by better retention, which is followed by successful graduates who are more successfully placed. A special online facilitator/director who does his job correctly would be a wise investment, since such planning is so important. This facilitator/director can also function as that extra central source to assist faculty in addressing student needs.

Since we don’t offer online training at our campus, I can only tell you what I think the training needs are.

In my experience in business and education, I realize the importance of training and motivating employees. For online class instruction, I feel that you need someone who is innovative and an excellent communicator. If you find these attributes in hirable candidates, then you don’t have to train them as much.

Instructors must be responsive to students needs and concentrate on making their experience rewarding, so that they complete the classes, and sign up for new ones.

Retention and completion are the goals. Instructors need ongoing training in order to sharpen their skills.

Instructors with no previous experience with virtual environment should be trained. Virtual world is quite different than in-classroom training, with its own challenges and issues. Without a good understanding of on-line training challenges, and how to overcome them, even experienced instructor may feel overwhelmed with the task in hand.

Training must be given not only to instructors inexperienced in online teaching but also as a refresher to more experienced instructors. As stated in the module, "not every good instructor can be a successful online instructor." As online teaching and learning is evolving, there is always room for growth.

We are not a school and have yet to launch our first online course, but as a result of the ton of reading and studying I have already done on e-learning, I see the definite need for all staff and faculty to be trained on the technology, course delivery and learner needs, both real and felt.

Train the faculty and those devloping the courses then train the students on how to by using sample courses or online tutorials.

Hi Alysha,

Yes, but keep in mind that the better LMS systems are very intuitive and the training effort should not be too much of a struggle. If it is, then that might be a clue that your school may be using the wrong LMS.

Best of luck with your implementation.

FCC's training needs were first, the staff, and then afterwards the students. The staff was trained by eCollege trainers that came out and did a on-site training. The teachers then learned the stystem by practicing at home. Our first platform that they used was an eCompanion solution that is a supplement to the ground classroom. eCompanion allowed our teachers to get ready for the online classroom while they were teaching on-site. We have also trained teachers through a online course that is facilitated by eCollege, lasts one week and is required by each new teacher to the eCollege platform.
Our students get trained in an on-site class that they take at orientation. Because FCC's program is hybrid, we are able to train our students on-site.

Correct, hiring is a key element, but continuing education is just as vital.
We find our trainers need all updated certifications with area of instruction (IT training) We find that over qualifications is always important to stay ahead of the IT knowledge battle.

Our rule of thumb, if the trainers want the training, it is wise to provide.

At our institution ,the programs,courses,and requirements,are the responsibility of our program director. We the teachers ,are given the materials to work with. As the semester progresses, test are performed and the results are evaluated in order to determine material reinforcement if needed and applied .

As corporate Training Director for many years , My staff and I developed a needs assessment document which was presented in person to all department heads. The responses were then taken back to our training conference area. they we listed in priority order, Teams were selected , course was developed , test run presentation given to Department heads , changes made and then rolled out to staff.

I took over a fledgling online program with several teachers that were teaching the same classes online as they were on ground.

After reviewing classes and the results of those classes, I realized we needed the following:

1. student training. Before a student is allowed to take online classes, he/she must complete an online orientation class (non-credit) which requires them to perform the tasks that they must complete in a regular online class. They are exposed to discussion boards, chat rooms, uploading assignments, testing, reading assignments, slide presentations and flash/animation presentations.

2. faculty training. I absolutely agree that being an SME (subject matter expert) is no guarantee that you can effectively teach a concept either on ground or online. My approach to hiring online teachers is to have them shadow a class for a module to see how current instructors conduct their classes. During this time they are also trained in our LMS system. Additionally, all online instructors have a minimum of 4 quarterly in service sessions. At the present time I do not hire any instructors that do not live in our city. This allows me more face to face training.

3. I absolutely love the idea of having admisisons reps take a sample class. That is way up on my priority list of things to do.

Training faculty and student is a most in delivering online courses and programs. At our Institution we train faculty in the use of LMS, teaching online and how to develop an online course.

Student are train in the use of LMS, however, it is volunteer. This is one area we need to improve. Some students have failure in distance learning program because they do not know how to use the learning tools.

The training of faculty and student is a responsibility of each individual campus.

We are currently investigating offering online courses. Our training needs involve working with staff and faculty so they understand the online environment. Once that training has been conducted and understood then students will be added into the mix. We are considering working with an established company that offers online courses as well as a tutorial for students that choose to take online courses. We are also going to add online support both online and at our campus.

The needs were defined by faculty, staff, and students. This is an ongoing process and will be more defined as it is developed. Management will select an online education coordinator and the online department will be responsible for implementing the training needs.

We currently do not offer any online courses at my institition but have begun looking at them as an option due to the demand from our student base. We are currently in a rural area and our students at traveling far distances to attend programs. In addition, a large majority of our student are dislocated workers who are looking to enter into another career field, and through the help with the Workforce Solutions and the WIA program they are gaining financial assistance to do so. With this all said the main resonse for our interest in developing an online program is to help reach these members of our community.

Sign In to comment