Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orienting your new instructors...

What do you currently do to orient your new instructors and what would you do differently?

Our orientation process is certainly something that lacks organization at the present time, hence the reason for attending this class. The orientation process, at the present time, involves a review of policies and procedures and a detailed tour. I am in the process of developing an Orientation Manual which sets forth the policies and procedures, contact info and a variety of need-to-know facts.

Hi Jamie

I know this can be challenging. The instructors that provided the foundations for your KSAOs can be a great resource for you and great mentors for new instructors.

I have not yet hired any new instructors. However, when I do, I will follow the guidelines provided by this course.

Hi Alessandra

Do you already have an orientation process in place or will you have to develop one?

we have a formal "New Instructors" orientation at the beginning of each quarter.

Hi Gerard

Since you have a program in place, what suggestions would you give Alessandra in developing orientation for her school?

Do you include an orientation checklist? Are new instructors assigned a mentor? Are they given classroom management training? Are they adult learning styles training?

1. Have an orientation program for new teachers at the beginning of each quarter or semester. This should be a requirement. Teachers that are hired during the previous quarter (after the last orientation) are also required to attend.

2. Assign the management of the orientation program to a different program director from time to time. Directors get burnt out after managing too many.

3. We do have an agenda, lunch is provided along with a tour of the college.

4. The orientation include classroom management. Organization policies and procedures are covered along with how to correctly take attendance, calling students that are absent, how to do forms for Directors Attention,handling problems in the classroom, what to do if you need a substitute.

5. Adult learning styles is also a part of the orientation.

We do not assign mentors, but the program director is comfortably in touch with new instructors to assist them with any class room related problem they have.

6. At the end of quarter put on an interactive workshop on effective classroom management that includes new and seasoned instructors.

This response is from Alessandra:

Our Organization is unique. It has very little money, serve very poor students, attract instructors who are missionaries . . . at least, they are filled with a kind of missionary zeal. Having said that, I will now let you know that anyone interested in joining us is not a stranger to the mission of the Trainer Center. I am new to the Organization but this much I do know. I was not provided with an orientation other than a very general overview of the function of the programs.

I would go beyond that for any incoming instructor. Even though he or she would be more or less familiar with our school, I will make sure that all newly hired instructors are familiar with the policies and procedures of the Organization; with any and all necessary equipments; with the texts books and other materials; that they are assigned email addressed and phone numbers when needed; that they are know to other faculty members, etc., in other words, that they be given all the information that will lead to their seamless entree into the Organization

We currently indoctrinate our new instructors one-on-one. Our smaller size allows for more personal attention for new instructors. However, it never seems as though you've done enough. Eventually all new teachers settle in, but you always wonder if there is more to be done. I think in the future we will place more emphasis on indoctrination, with perhaps a checklist of sorts to ensure all new instructors get the same information the same way.

One of my first responsibilities when I came to this position 7 months ago, was to formalize the new instructor orientation process. Many of the pieces were there but the process was not documented. I have developed a checklist of items to provide to or discuss with new instructors (to help me as much as them!) and I make sure I follow the list. It includes many of the suggestions provided in this module. I also developed a manual for new instructors that includes, among the standard company information for all new hires, information on student and instructor specific forms and examples of what each is, how to complete it, and who it goes to. I'm working on some basic self-directed learning materials that focus on teaching especially for those new instructors who have little or no teaching experience.

All new instructors are required to attend our formal "New Instructor" orientation at the beginning of each quarter. This helps, not only to train them but to introduce them to other new and current instructors. We find this helps to give them a sense of belonging to our team early on.

It's good you have a formalized process, Kim. Is there anything you would add to what you currently do?

Yes. Even with this orientation process, there is much information given and just like with students it is not all retained...I would like to see some kind of in house "information booth" that instructors could go to to "look up" the answers to school procedures & policy. Maybe a pc in the teachers workroom, intranet, etc.

That's a great idea. I always encouraged instructors to be very familiar with the catalog or handbook. It explains how many operational situations should be handled.

Thanks for your response, Kim.

Orientation involves several steps. It lasts several weeks prior to beginning to teach. This includes meeting all faculty and staff. Human Resources and the IT departments meet with the instructor. New instructors are required to observe classes for several weeks. They attend teacher training workshops every week. Finally, they prepare lessons and actually teach another instructor's class before taking on their own classes. This whole process takes several weeks. It is important to hire new instructors well in advance of the date they will actually have their own classes. It is a very good investment in instructional success.

Lucinda, I would completely agree with you and the system you have in place. The process of mentoring instructors and setting them up for success can improve both instructor and student retention. It sounds like you have developed a system could be implemented by most schools.

Thank you for sharing.

In the very recent past (and for as long as I can remember), new instructors were oriented by the hiring manager. Depending upon how much time existed between the hire and the first day of class usually dictated the depth and length of orientation. This part of our hiring process has been very weak for a very long time.

Over the past six months, our Academic Department has developed an orientation and formal training program for new instructors. Each new instructor must do the following:

1. "New Employee Orientation" - relevant to all employees of the college regardless of department.

2. "New Instructor Orientation" - We have created a "New Instructor Resource Manual" to be used at this orientation and given to the instructor to keep as reference. The manual is divided up into five parts: (1) Welcome Letter; (2) Policies and Procedures; (3) Company Forms with explanations; (4) Success with Students (teaching tips, classroom management strategies, test development, lesson planning, etc.); and (5) Professional Development.

3. New instructors must observe a class being taught by a mentor instructor for a minumum of two times.

4. New instructors must attend a "New Student Orientation" held prior to each term.

5. New instructors must attend "New Instructor Workshops" during their first year of teaching. (We have developed 5 workshops on various topics relevant to teaching, 1 is given every 10 weeks.)

This upcoming term in January will be our first time through our new Orientation and formal training program. We are very hopeful that this structure will give new instructors a jump start in being successful at our college.

Hi Heather

Support is important in the success of your instructors.

In addition to the steps you mentioned, we did a few other things. First, we had frequent observations by a senior instructor or the department chair.

We also took a survey of students in the class. This survey was different from the end of term survey we normally did. It helped alert us to potential problems in the classroom that could be corrected during the term. We did this about
3-4 weeks into the term.

It sounds like you have made tremendous strides in improving the odds for success for your new instructors. Congratulations!

We often have the new hire sit through classes taught by our other instructors. Then have the instructor take the new person to lunch to discuss techniques, ideas, and curriculum.

Sign In to comment