Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We begin with basic face to face interview and if they seem like a possible candidate then the next step is a "teach-back". The candidate must teach a mock lecture based on a topic of our choice. If that goes well they have a phone interview with our National Director of Programs.

I find the mini-lesson invlauble, but I usually gave appplicants some leeway on choosing the exact topic. I think I will be more specific in the future about both the toic and what I expect to see, including all the pieces I want to evaluate - lecture, demo, use of media etc.

Wendy,

There is no "right way" to do this. Some schools let a person prepare for a week while others give a topic and just a few minutes to prepare.

Jeffrey Schillinger

We usually follow the same proceedures that are found in this module, I will be encorporating a detailed RJP, I find that this is a great idea to give the applicant a reality of the job. I have my prospecctive applicants audit a class prior to our second interview just to get a feel of the dynamics of the course subject and students

I like to have questions already set up to ask the applicant. I try to stick to a 'script' in that I know where the interview will be going, and to best use my time and theirs. I like the incumbent interviews and job analysis. I will probably be using this for my next round of interviews. Thank you!

Carolyn,

A standard set of questions asked of all applicants for a position helps to protect an organization from any type of discrimination accusation. It is not fool proof, but it helps.

Jeffrey Schillinger

During the interview in my office, I normally ask applicants to ‘teach’ me how to; make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a cake, a cup of tea etc. They are asked to use the board, and are provided with markers. This allows me to see the applicant’s potential as an instructor and their ability to think on their feet. I don’t expect them to be perfect, and they are normally nervous as expected. We then discuss the activity and together discuss what when well. I usually make suggestions, and based on the conversation can determine if the applicant is coachable and open to learning.

In the future, I will go back to structured questions and provide a written RJP. Written RJP will be used in addition to tours and brief classroom observations.

We use structured interviews consistent with the material presented in this course. One of the take-aways I have is to make sure the applicant has a job description and catalog ahead of time so they can review and have an opportunity to ask more informed questions. I find that the interview time is a good time to make sure applicants get their questions answered but have found that they aren't always sure what to ask, they don't know what they don't know. Sending out informatin to them ahead of time would greatly assist this aspect of the interview process.

Currently, our procedure is very loosely organized and laid back. We do the 15 minute resume review before the interview and we take notes during the interview but we can improve by implementing a more structured interview process by including the 'realistic job preview' and scheduling mini lessons. I also like the idea of assigning a rating to the applicant immediately after the interview.

Crystal,

Thanks for this post. Some institutions allow the prospective teacher to plan the lesson at home. Others give the faculty member 20 minutes to prepare an introduction to a topic before delivering it. Both can work.

Jeffrey Schillinger

We might document the process that we currently use which is essentially the process described in this module. Thank you.

Depending on where the applicant lives I will either have the interview with the applicant in person or on the phone. If I am still interested after the interview I will invite them back for a teaching demostration with other faculty and administrators present to evaluate the applicant's teaching abilities. I think being refreshed on allowing the applicant to do the majority of the talking and what to ask and not ask is a good reminder.

Tyler,

Do you give them the practice teaching topic in advance or do you "spring it" on them? I used to do the latter.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I allow the applicant to select a topic in advance, so they can prepare and either create a PowerPoint or bring in learning aides to facilitiate the lesson. I know there are times when instructors, including myself, have had to teach a topic last minute without much preparation. I think that provides insight into how someone can teach under pressure, but I think that is traditionally the culture of the application/interview process at the college I joined.

After reviewing this module I will be talking less so that they talk more...I always tried to make them comfortable....no more I will let them squirm and see how they handle the pressure. Also I will use a more structured questionaire

Roselyn,

I have the same challenge when I interview. It is a tough, but valuable change to make in your interviewing style. A key is to not be afraid of silence.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Not any techniques that are structured as far as questions go. Usually we chat, give an assessment quiz, a tour, then ask them if they would like to come back for a 2nd interview. If yes, then interview is conducted with supervisor(s)and decisions to hire are made from there. Like the idea of structured questions for consistency purposes. Can evaluate answers from applicants more evenly this way.

Gayle,

The consistency of well-developed standard questions for each position can help protect the institution from charges of discrimination.

Jeffrey Schillinger

If successful after the initial application screening and first interview, the applicant is asked to do a 10-15 minute "Practice Teach" on a topic of our choice depending on the area of instruction. If that session is acceptable by our committee we have them take a 15 minute aptitude assessment. Upon passing that we run a full background check. References are then checked and final interviews are scheduled. A round-table committee assessment will then follow with all interviewers. If appropriate a job offer is made...

Ken

Kenneth,

The practice teach is a common approach. Do you let the candidate pick a topic and or give them time at home to prepare? During my practice teach several years ago, I was given a topic and a book and 20 minutes to prepare a lesson.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment