Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Conducting Job Interviews

What current techniques and procedures do you use to you conduct job interviews and what changes might you make as a result of this module?

At this point my School Director does most of the interviewing. We use a process called Behaviorial interviewing focusing on actual job performance and situations an applicant has been involved in. Instead of asking if they know conflict management procedure, we would ask tell me about a time you were involved in a conflict and what techniques did you use to resolve this conflict? I will introduce KSAOs to my director.

Suzanne,

Thank you for sharing this perspective. Behavior-based interviewing is very effective. Determining how an individual performed in a situation previously is usually the best way to predict how that individual will perform in that situation again.

The interview itself, for adjunct, is done by our Department Chairs and one of the Deans. We only hire adjunct to start. If an adjunct is being considered for full time they are interviewed by the Dean and the Executive Director. One concern with our current methods would be whether the Chairs are using "structured" interviews. Do they have the questions written out and do they ask each candidate the same questions? Also, are they allowing the candidates to speak for 75% of the time while they keep it to 25%?

Dave,

You may want to work with the Chairs to help them develop some structured questions that require the applicant to discuss what he or she has already done rather than what he or she might do. Behavior-based interview questions often start with "Tell me about a time when you ...."

I developed a hiring matrix and use this to objectively rank resumes. This usually gives me a good idea of where I can start deleting some folks from consideration. Instructor hires may go before the Dean, Associate Dean, Program Coordinators, or others they may come in contact with.
If I am hiring for Associate Dean or at the Dept Chair level, I most always use panel interviews, starting with a select group of instructors, then other dept chairs, then the management team. The panel interviews are very effective and I use them for a number of reasons. 1) to get another opinion/ viewpoint, 2) early buy-in for a potential hire, 3) to give the other participants a stake in the new hire being successful. Considerable effort is taken to make sure we conducted the structured interviews in an comfortable setting, I don't want candidates feeling as if they are before a firing squad. I usually have an opportunity to review questions to be asked before the actual interview. All panelist are privy to the resumes before to make their own notes. This aids me in developing my questions to dig deeper if I have to or piggy back from a previously asked question.
Another element I included was a role play session as a means to assess how an instructor would conduct a counseling session with a student. I will create a pretty common scenario, stage the situation for the candidate, invite our "actor" in and give the panelist an opportunity to observe.

We stick to very structured interview usually behavioral type questions that we ask of all candidates. Of course with some candidates we veer off some but we make certain we ask all the same set of questions.

One of our favorites to ask, "If you were the ingredient in a salad, which would you be?" Some say croutons--adds a little something extra to the salad; some say lettuce--they provide a solid foundation; one said the dressing--its what holds everything together and makes a salad different from others; one candidate said the spinach--some people hate it; lots of people love it but regardless it is respected for the interest and nutritional value it brings to the salad. There answers usually says alot about who they believe they are.

I have used a question similar to that in the past. It goes like this: If you were a vegetable what type of vegetable would you be and why? I have had answers like a potatoe because I'm rooted with strong family ties or a tomatoe because I grow easily and do well in different environments, etc. I agree with you, Tammy, that it can give you some insight to who they are and how creatively they can respond.

Dave,

That is an interesting question to ask. :) I'm not sure I would ask too many hypothetical questions. I'd stick with behavior-based questions that ask applicants to talk about what they have actually done in situations similar to what they will face as instructors.

Thanks, Tammy.

I am not sure I'd go with the salad question, but if it works for you .... :)

Great module! We have a process that seems to work, but I definitely liked what I just learned as it presents opportunity to enhance the experience for all. We currently do not have an RJP and it's now on my To-Do list. This could be a great help as I liked very much that though it could be an applicant reducer, it will lead us to higher performance. We've always used the test teach method, but am thinking it needs to be more structured. It's been left wide open as it's generally an intimidating process. But with a specific structure, I think it's going to help not only the candidate, but us to review and rate.

We get the results from the Profile that is administered to each candidate. If the person scores within the acceptable range and has been qualified to teach the class(es) that we need to fill, an interveiw is set up.

A job description is given and the requirements are discussed. Since Online hires instructors from severl states, we may never get to meet the person face-to-face, but we can learn a lot by talking with the person and reviewing their written communication.

If the person is interested in viewing a class in our Learning Managing System, we can provide the information so that he/she can observe in a class.

We need to select a list of global questions to ask all candidates then have each Department Chair add questions that are specific to the classes that need staffed.

I am used to using the structured interview. I like asking the same questions to all candidates so I can get the same types of pertinent information. I also take the opportunity to probe deeper when needed. When I look at resumes I look at job history, lapses in working, length of work in each position, as well as the KSAO's.
Use of behavior related questions is also helpful, "tell be about.." type of questions. Some times giving scenario's and ask how they would handle the situation. I have not used the written realistic job preview, I like the idea. I have done a similar "typical day", but usually verbally. The idea of doing this written is nice.
Lots of nice information.

I am not sure where in the process the on line tests are done at my school yet, but access to these results will be interesting to use. When hiring an employee for a Therapist or Nurse the pre-employment testing was completed prior to the interview. If the candidate did not pass the test they were not interviewed until they were able to pass this. Licensure checks were also completed prior to making an offer if they had to have a state lic.

Thanks, Donna.

What might one or two of the "global" questions you would like all of those who interview candidates to use be?

Thank you, Susan.

What changes are you considering to the test teach process you use?

Until now, we've put the test teach after the interview process as a last step. I believe using the test teach prior to the interview process will first help us determine comnmitment to the opportunity and then help us better determine if the candidate is worth actively pursuing or developing. We've generally told perspective instructors to use 20 minutes, but believe reducing the time merits some consideration, In the past we've simply discussed what we thought post test teach, but I believe we'll craft some form of ranking to try to keep evaluations objective and focused. Our process has worked, but we can certainly craft it better to maximize time and effort for better results.

Susan,

We used to have all those that sat in on the practice teach complete an observation form. Perhaps you can adapt one of the forms we use.

Susan,

One time saver might be to ask the instructor candidate to prepare and present a 10 minute introduction to a lesson. You should be able to see how creative the instructor is and whether or not he or she goes immediately for active learning approaches.

Thanks Annette!

Having a structured process is the best way to ensure the process is thorough and fair.

Annette,

What types of things would you present in a typical day exercise for your faculty members?

Sign In to comment