Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Boards

If you were being evaluated on how effectively you are managing a governing or advisory board for your school, what would you include in your accountabilities and how would you assess them?

The advisory committee for my department is voluntary. Even though we serve good food, start and end on time, etc., attendance remains my biggest problem. Before I can evaluate effectiveness, I have to earn better attendance. I think that as part of a self evaluation; I need to learn to keep better notes (or delegate the task) of recommendations made at the meetings and learn to phrase them more effectively. I need to include not only that we discussed a concern or idea, but list the the expected outcomes as well.

Teri,

This is a god observation, what else could you do to enhance your attendance?

R. Roehrich

I would include items that were generated from our meetings. For example at our meeting one of the board members suggested that our program was missing a very important subject for our students to get placed. We gathered the information about the subject plus the minutes from the board meeting and presented it to our corporate office and it is now part of our curriculumn. I also let that board member know that we had taken his advice into consideration and made the changes. I feel that if you show that thier advice is valuable and that it is used they are more likely to continue participating. I would also show my success and getting members to show for meeting by presenting documentation made at meetings.

I would include how they are initial approached about becoming a member of the board and their response. If this is good then the folow up invitation and welcome package can also help to entice them to want to be at the meeting. Finally a follow up phone call to insure ttheir atendance that day. If all of this is done and they still do not show up I feel they never really wanted to be on the board and a replacement should be found.

Hildie,

Thank you for the detail in your response! The examples you presented are all good illustrations of ways to enhance board participation and effectiveness while adding support and reinforcement to the techniques included in Module 3.

You might consider adding an additional follow-up to the curriculum change by sharing with your board members each time they meet additional supporting evidence of graduate placements, which can be attributed to the curriculum change. This doesn't have to be overly detailed, just a comment at the meeting that demonstrates continued reinforcement for the change “they suggested.”

Are there other ways that the course has stimulated your interest or strategies for enhancing board participation at meetings or other school events?

R. Roehrich

Linda,

You're right on track! Your posting indicates a well thought-out approach to addressing your board as peer professionals. Tying back to the reason they joined the board is very solid and should further reinforce their individual commitments to your school. It's interesting how much value that follow-up phone call can be to maintaining attendance and demonstrating “your” commitment to the board's importance and input.

How would you handle the situation, if you had to remove a board member because of inconsistent attendance at your board meetings?

R. Roehrich

This course has been very informative about participation at meetings. I am new at this and just established my first advisory board and had our first meeting but it was more of the orientation than a meeting. I realize this now after participating in this course. During our first meeting we introduced the staff and board members, took a tour of the campus, talked about advertising and let each board member speak about their interest in the school and about our curiculumn and some things that they thought we should add or take a way.

I am now learning in mod 3 things that I need to do to make our first official meeting a productive one.

Hildie,

Don't be too hard on yourself, your first meeting sounds like it was more productive than most. This course should provide you with additional information and insights for operating your board(s) and I expect you will have increasing success by applying your learning from this course to your board operation.

Are there any questions you have or feel there are areas that need further explanation? Are you operating more than one advisory board?

R. Roehrich

I would explain to the member how much we value their imput and want them at the meetings. See if there is a way to make it easier for them to attend. Or just find out what is hindering them form attending meetings and see how I can be of help . Lastly they may just say at this time,it is now feasible for them to attend. Therfore making it easier for me to replace them.

Linda,

Thanks for your reply; what you described is a sound strategy. You identified two of the keys to encouraging attendance and retention of board members; show them you value their input and seek ways to make it easier to attend meetings. If the board member is honest with you, and cannot fulfill their commitment, then the follow-through action of replacing them is more efficient.

R. Roehrich

Most of my questions are being answered through this course. Sometimes when you are learning something new you don't know what to ask until you come across a situation. I am only responsible for one Advisory Board but it has 21 members. Our College offers several different majors and my board is comprised of professionals from all areas (at least two from each major). For my next meeting I plan on having break out, where they will meet with their program director and work one on one.

Hildie,

I appreciate your candor about asking questions over new material, can I assume from your comments that you are learning new applications and strategies for managing your advisory board? Has the course provided you with a perspective on governing boards that enhances your understanding of how they operate in contrast to advisory boards?

R. Roehrich

Your assuption is correct--I have been learning new applications and strategies for manageing my advisory board. The course has provided me with a perspective on governing boards, but I have to admit I have been focusing more on the Advisory board. I feel like I was hanging on by my toes setting up my Advisory Board and I want this to be a success so I have been paying more attention to Advisory topics in the course. I have greatly enjoyed the information provided.

I would include the following in an accountability report: Procedural practices, board memebers attend all required meetings; effectiveness of meetings, significant levels of participation from all board members, board members arrive at meetings well prepared, dialogues are candid and lively, agendas are accomplished on schedule etc; management team interfaces effectively with all board members; comminication adheres to Bader's model.

Developmental and Training Activities: Board members engage in annual developmental training sessions; members are given the proper recognition after completion of their training; appropriate follow-up to determine the effectiveness of the training sessions; provided opportunities for worthwhile contribution from each board member.

Assessing the effectiveness of my practices: Evidence of members commitment to serve the school; evidence of the active participation of each board member; evidence of the board members understanding of the school's mission; breadth of contributions of board members.

Assessing the effectiveness of development and training:Evidence of the board memebrs ability to provide more insightful guidance, direction and recommendations to the organization; evidence of the board members ability to encourage and support opportunities for growth within the organization.

Alessandra,

These are all good topics to be included, but what specifically would you do to enhance the commitment of your board members to your school? What “processes” would you use to ensure the elements you identified are effective and providing your school and the board members with the levels of information needed?

R. Roehrich

There are many ways to evaluate, but several quantitative measures immediately pop into my mind:

1.Number of board members
2.Percentage of board members regularly attending
3.Job leads and placements through board members
4.Student internships through board members
5.Board recommendations implemented

Make sure that the board members are aware of their responsibility and commitment. Set the number of times the meeting should be held. Ensure that there is regular attendance of the meeting by the members. Involve all the members in the agenda items. Include educational programs, curriculum, placement and accreditation on the agenda items. Be well prepared for the meetings and ensure all the members are sent their pack 2 weeks prior to the meeting. The minutes of the meetings are well documented and suggestions and ideas worth implementing are put into action and the members acknowledged for their input.

I agree with everything that you have listed. I would also include making sure I am meeting all of my Accrediting body's standards. Knowing that I have met everything on their list would help guarantee that I am meeting all expectations from upper management.

I really like your points Josefer. As you said, those measures are easily quantified so board members can see how their input has helped the school. I think having advisory board members involved in more than just the advisory board, such as providing internships, will help attendance and engagement.

Sign In to comment