Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with these points, though I am more concerned about meeting Accrediting standards and less concerned about the actual # of board members. The points above are easily quantifiable and the value of student internships and placement speaks to effectiveness but ultimately directly relates to student satisfaction!

Assignment of the various areas to review to each board member, such as: mission statement, catalog, program content, success outcomes, etc. would be the key.

John,

These are all crucial components to establishing a solid foundation for your committee's effectiveness. What would you suggest staff or senior management do to enhance the value of output from the committee, once they receive their "foundational knowledge" about the institution?

Dr. Robert Roehrich

I believe all the major topics have been discussed in this 3rd section. Because of our size we conduct a bi-annual advisory board meetings. The two board members are selected by each program chair. We offer 7 programs thus 14 board members are selected. Because of size of participants we have a business and a medical group meetings. General concerns that overlap the programs are presented in both meetings. This keeps the meeting focused on specific topics that cater to that group.

Arthur,
This sounds like a good strategy and is obviously working for you.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

My accountability to the role through the objective evaluation of working relationships and performance of myself and others. I would include:

Oversight – i.e., of budget, fiscal controls, resource allocation, programs and key staffs. Performance would be measured by budget to plan performance, adherence to fiscal controls as confirmed through the independent auditing process, ensure that a resource plan exists and is followed, confirming that programs are implemented as scheduled and that the CEO is hired and evaluated.

Making decisions to key to the life and direction of the organization— i.e. selecting the principal executive, establishing programmatic objectives, approving long-range plans, acquiring or disposing of real property and reviewing and refining the organization's mission as needed.

Timothy ,
Outstanding approach. it would be advisable to create a balanced scorecard to monitor each of the elements that you described. From you posting, it appears that you are looking for a CEO to lead the organization. Given the tone and depth of your responses to the Forums, I suggest you give careful consideration to how you are going to recruit this individual and establish a process for walking through the recruiting, interviewing and selection of a CEO. Obviously, given the nature of your organization, this will be a critical step for you and your team to ensure alignment with the institution's mission, values and culture.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Excellent recommendation. We currently use BSCs for our Campus Directors and Professors, so it should be something that we can easily integrate.

Timothy ,
Also consider adding elements of the BSC into your board evaluation process. The Balanced Score Card is a great tool in the hands of folks who know how to apply it. You're already on your way by using it with your campus directors and professors.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I agree with Josefer's observations but would add:
1. Current board member referrals of new members when vacancies arise;
2. Board member satisfaction with their experience serving on the board.

Elizabeth,
Please go back and reread the threads on this Forum from your contemporaries, there are good ideas and viable suggestions for managing both advisory and governing boards, irrespective of their charge. Keep in mind with governing boards, members have a fiduciary responsibility to the institution; therefore, accountability should be well thought out and reviewed with an attorney before sharing it with board members. Governing board members must understand the nature of their role and the level of responsibility that goes with it.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment